Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I have a bit of a problem with my El Xr8 auto 4speed. After 20 mins of driving it stays in third gear and won’t go away until I let it cool down. I have a feeling it’s a temperature issue but also have a feeling it’s something stupid.
I’ve serviced it (oil was original by the looks of it)
Runs smoothly, no problems getting up and going but yeah....
any ideas here?
Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Did you use specified Castrol TQ-95 ATF in the transmission? These gearboxes are not at all tolerant to using the incorrect ATF. Also see https://www.tiperformance.com.au/Reference/Ford_BTR4Speed_Auto.pdf pages 21 onwards for common faults. As you have probably discovered these cars don't have a standard OBD plug for code reading and rather than the trans being controlled by the ECU, there is also separate Transmission Control Module on the V8 that codes have to be separately extracted from (many garages won't know this or will not have the required code reader adapter cable) . Nonetheless, you can still read codes by counting flashes on a suitably wired up LED or test light or making up your own code reader adapter ; see Ford Automatic Transmission for how to use a LED and to Australian Ford Forums for how I made up my own adapter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s exactly my plan at the moment, she’s got some other bugs that I need to get rid of. I did use the correct oil, I stuffed my post up btw lol my bad. The oil that came out of it was burnt and f**ked so that could also need an other oil change. I’m currently lining up a diagnosing tool, hopefully it shows me something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use specified Castrol TQ-95 ATF in the transmission? These gearboxes are not at all tolerant to using the incorrect ATF. Also see https://www.tiperformance.com.au/Reference/Ford_BTR4Speed_Auto.pdf pages 21 onwards for common faults. As you have probably discovered these cars don't have a standard OBD plug for code reading and rather than the trans being controlled by the ECU, there is also separate Transmission Control Module on the V8 that codes have to be separately extracted from (many garages won't know this or will not have the required code reader adapter cable) . Nonetheless, you can still read codes by counting flashes on a suitably wired up LED or test light or making up your own code reader adapter ; see Ford Automatic Transmission for how to use a LED and to Australian Ford Forums for how I made up my own adapter.
Thanks heaps mate! I got a manual there with all the codes but will still check out the links! Cheers agin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts