Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MTX has started to give me trouble even with Redline in it.
I'm still getting noticy grinding shift into second, lless w/Redline, but it still does it. This is even after 15 minutes on the highway.

It seems like some days the transmission works well, and others it's noticy in all gears, grinds/lock out in second. WTF?

The car does not even have 60k miles on it. MTX fluid is at the proper level.

Motor/transmission mount? Clutch?

The clutch still grips fairly well and seem to release properly.

Any ideas?

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
kfud said:
My MTX has started to give me trouble even with Redline in it.
I'm still getting noticy grinding shift into second, lless w/Redline, but it still does it. This is even after 15 minutes on the highway.

It seems like some days the transmission works well, and others it's noticy in all gears, grinds/lock out in second. WTF?

The car does not even have 60k miles on it. MTX fluid is at the proper level.

Motor/transmission mount? Clutch?

The clutch still grips fairly well and seem to release properly.

Any ideas?
Interesting.... I put Royal Purple in mine and it didn't seem to do anything at all. Still Shifts good though.

Your tranny fluid you put in was GL3-4 and not GL-5 isn't it?? if you put GL-5 in it, it is eating away at your Brass syncros which would cause your poor shifting. If you put GL-5 in it, get it out NOW! put fresh GL-4 in!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm aware of the GL4/5 gargon. It's a synthectic GL4.

It has always been like that and getting slowy worse over the period of two years.

I could be due to the cold, but it's not that cold. I know the clutch is disengagin properly. As soon as any pressure is applied on the clutch pedal it starts to slip (good). Grips good.

But maybe it's something else keeping the synchronizers from spinning up.

I do hear a (have heard) a quiet squeaking noise at idle in the clutch/flywheel area.

I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I take it to a shop.

Loose pressure plate??? I dunno. Squeaking suggest a bad bearing...?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts