Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my mother's 1992 Mercury Topaz GS with the 3.0 V6 (she's alive and well,don't worry. She just doesn't want to let it go to waste and she drives her newer car more often).

The issues I know of are that it needs new battery cables, a muffler, tires, and the rear right door won't open from the inside or the outside, and won't lock or unlock. I got a handle on all the stuff it needs except for that. Help? I couldn't get it open. Child lock? grease something? Rip it off? Help?

The car is in excellent shape for being 26 years old, only has 89,000 miles, and still shines up nicely. Has no rips or tears inside. It's just sat for a bit. I recently visited her and put a battery in it, drove it for a bit, cleaned the dust off, and she offered it to me. She bought it in 1994.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
You pretty much have to remove the inner door panel, but I have no idea how to do it with a seat in the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed that, it was a challenge. But I was unable to figure out exactly what was stuck in there because it was so dark and cramped. I was sort of wondering if it was common and if there was a definite culprit and solution.

I don't have it in my driveway yet to tinker, I'm just being proactive for when it is so I can get an idea of how to fix it (or try to) before taking it to a shop.

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
I would get the battery cables replaced , battery tested / replaced if needed and remote fob battery also .Then see if door locks operate .If not check operation of door lock actuator , may be seized or jammed .Try moving outside door handle and check operation of lock and linkage .You can also get broken wiring where it passes through door frame up to lock inside ..If possible manually operating and releasing from inside door frame and opening will be a big help in seeing any problems .Check also for any broken sprigs , clips on lock assembly .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts