Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I've gone and done it.

New XR6 Turbo in Lightning Strike with premium sound and blue plexis cloth interior. It will be a 2004 build, with the delivery date around March 2004. I left myself an extra month to get rid of my current AUII.


One of my important issues for me is fuel economy. When I test drove the XR6 Turbo on Saturday, I notice that if I drove gently, I couldn't hear much of the turbo, and found that the ins fuel cinsumption was quite low.

I found when I fanged it, fuel consumption went up to 40-50 litres/100km.

What sought of fuel economy are you guys getting around town if you take it reasonably easy with the right foot ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
Why buy an XR6 Turbo and then worry about fuel economy. Just drive it and enjoy it, so what if it costs you a few extra bucks a week the enjoyment of giving it some stick should make it worth it. Interesting choice of interior color with the Lightning Strike exterior although you made a good color choice. My Lightning Strike XR8 looks awesome especially with the tinted windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bossxr8 said:
Why buy an XR6 Turbo and then worry about fuel economy. Just drive it and enjoy it, so what if it costs you a few extra bucks a week the enjoyment of giving it some stick should make it worth it. Interesting choice of interior color with the Lightning Strike exterior although you made a good color choice. My Lightning Strike XR8 looks awesome especially with the tinted windows.
Yep true. I want fuel economy, while at the same time wanting power so I can 'cream' that wanky Holden next to me....yep I know it doesn't make sense...

When I test drove it on the weekend, I found if you dont take the revs up beyond 2700, the turbo barely kicks in anyway, but feel like a grandpa driver with those sought of revs.

PS - I hope your right about the BAII (later this year) not having many differences. I figure with 240kw, I should be safely ahead for a few years, and if I want more, some minor changes should be able to take me up to 280 with no probs.

I agree with tinted windows, looks great on Lightning Strike, but the dealer is trying to rip me off (asked for $495 to use the 3M - metallic free film). Told him to hold off, and I'll get back to him.

Spoke with Tint-a-car, the best they have is the Formula 1 Plus tint, while they use a carbon fibre based tint on the back windows b/c of the aerial. They recon that metal free films actually turn purple in the long run...

Where did you get your tinting done ? (and how much ?)
 

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
Joined
·
953 Posts
Fuel consumption wont be much better then 14-15 L /100 even if you drive it nice. The only time you will get decent - 10 L/100 consumption is out ont he highway!

Nice colour, VERY nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Hey Jamesa,

Nice colour choice. Mine is 5000kms old and currently averaging 17l/100kms. Highway is approx 8-9l/100kms, with the pedal down you can get as high as 80l/100kms .....hehehe.

It all depends how and where you drive. It is getting better though as they tend to once they get more kms under the hood. But yep I agree, do not expect great economy with power of 240kw.

Re the tint, try Australian Auto Tint, 401 Maroondah Hwy,Ringwood
9870 6800 or 0419511155 the guys name is Peter Matthews.
Approx $300.00 it is called reflective tint or something like that. Looks great.

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
Where did you get your tinting done ? (and how much ?)[/QUOTE]

I've got the factory tint, with employee discount only cost about $250 so can't complain and it won't bugger up the radio reception like some tints can although I would like it a bit darker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
bossxr8 said:
Where did you get your tinting done ? (and how much ?)
I've got the factory tint, with employee discount only cost about $250 so can't complain and it won't bugger up the radio reception like some tints can although I would like it a bit darker.[/QUOTE]
Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
bossxr8 said:
I've got the factory tint, with employee discount only cost about $250 so can't complain and it won't bugger up the radio reception like some tints can although I would like it a bit darker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Its going to be just like mine. I too have made the leap with the same spec as yours but also with Side Airbags and a tow pack. Lighting Strike and Blue Plexis looks awesome. Getting mine in march. Only 48 more sleeps until wet dreams while I am awake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KNOWHEREMAN_V8 said:
Its going to be just like mine. I too have made the leap with the same spec as yours but also with Side Airbags and a tow pack. Lighting Strike and Blue Plexis looks awesome. Getting mine in march. Only 48 more sleeps until wet dreams while I am awake.
You getting your windows tinted dude ?
 

·
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)
Joined
·
357 Posts
JamesA said:
PS - I hope your right about the BAII (later this year) not having many differences. I figure with 240kw, I should be safely ahead for a few years, and if I want more, some minor changes should be able to take me up to 280 with no probs.
You guys may already know this, but I read the BAII XR6T will be 285kw. The only reason they're gonna limit it to 285kw is so it doesn't make the Boss 290 look so bad! Sounds sweet anyway, and aparently they're not having to change much at all to get that poewr, so I'd say if you ever feel the need to up the power in yours it wouldn't be hard.

Great choice of car BTW. I'm sure you'll love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
XR6T4ME said:
Re the tint, try Australian Auto Tint, 401 Maroondah Hwy,Ringwood
9870 6800 or 0419511155 the guys name is Peter Matthews.
Approx $300.00 it is called reflective tint or something like that. Looks great.
Cheers.
does this reflective tint give like a kinda mirror reflection? if it did it would look awesome
 

·
Ford Appreciation Society
Joined
·
3,666 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
XTS220 said:
Fuel consumption wont be much better then 14-15 L /100 even if you drive it nice. The only time you will get decent - 10 L/100 consumption is out ont he highway!

Nice colour, VERY nice!
10L/100??? Is this an avg figure or instant, lowest i've got is 12.5L/100 avg on the freeway for 3 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
12.5 L/100km is about what I get on the highways aswell. Driving around canberra though, I get about 15.1 L/100km consistantly. Giving it a little every now and then..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, Also heard the intercooling improves fuel efficiency, and in some cases even burns less than the NA 6.

Anyone heard this as well ?
 

·
FF Town Mayor
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Hey JamesA. Just an interesting point re fuel economy.... I recently got my non turb XR6 a unichip. After running it on the dyno, they found the air/fuel ratio was shocking - way too rich. Apparently this is very common because each engine is different and they do not tune them according to small engine differences. They also run 'em out of the factory fairly rich so they don't burn - warranty friendly. After running the dyno, getting the chip in, and even with using PULP now (yes, it is tuned for it), I am getting way better fuel economy and 20kW more power to boot. Will be taking the chip with me to the turb I am trading mine in for. Incidentally, mine is black with sunroof and premium audio and has nice dark tinting - also have black custom plates with silver letters. Looks awesome. And no, the dealer tinting is not reflective, that would look cool with your colour. I am sure you could get that done somewhere though.

Anyone wanna buy my car???? Hmmmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
XRchic said:
Hey JamesA. Just an interesting point re fuel economy.... I recently got my non turb XR6 a unichip. After running it on the dyno, they found the air/fuel ratio was shocking - way too rich. Apparently this is very common because each engine is different and they do not tune them according to small engine differences. They also run 'em out of the factory fairly rich so they don't burn - warranty friendly. After running the dyno, getting the chip in, and even with using PULP now (yes, it is tuned for it), I am getting way better fuel economy and 20kW more power to boot. Will be taking the chip with me to the turb I am trading mine in for. Incidentally, mine is black with sunroof and premium audio and has nice dark tinting - also have black custom plates with silver letters. Looks awesome. And no, the dealer tinting is not reflective, that would look cool with your colour. I am sure you could get that done somewhere though.

Anyone wanna buy my car???? Hmmmm.
Hey thats an intersting one.

Had my new T for about 2 weeks now (which explains my absence from these forums lately :wnc: , and I'm averaging between 15.5l/100 to 16.1l/100. Its actually not too bad, but the fact that they program them rich from the factory is dissappointing.
Do you keep your Ford Warranty with the UNI chip ?

I've done around 700km now, and no issues yet, purrs like a kitten.

I also noticed that the 3000km 'checkup' doesn't include an oil change, just a detailed inspection around and under the car. As I intend to "keep her" for quite a while, I'm going to get the oil changed at 3000 to get all the dust and dirt out as I want to make sure I give the engine a full chance of lasting ages.

Anyway, what colour are you getting for your new T ?

I've already mentioned this on another thread, but I'm going to say it again, make sure you check out a Lightning strike XR - they look great, and the dust doesn't show !
 

·
FF Town Mayor
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
JamesA said:
Hey thats an intersting one.

Had my new T for about 2 weeks now (which explains my absence from these forums lately :wnc: , and I'm averaging between 15.5l/100 to 16.1l/100. Its actually not too bad, but the fact that they program them rich from the factory is dissappointing.
Do you keep your Ford Warranty with the UNI chip ?

I've done around 700km now, and no issues yet, purrs like a kitten.

I also noticed that the 3000km 'checkup' doesn't include an oil change, just a detailed inspection around and under the car. As I intend to "keep her" for quite a while, I'm going to get the oil changed at 3000 to get all the dust and dirt out as I want to make sure I give the engine a full chance of lasting ages.

Anyway, what colour are you getting for your new T ?

I've already mentioned this on another thread, but I'm going to say it again, make sure you check out a Lightning strike XR - they look great, and the dust doesn't show !
Hey. No, the chip voids the warranty to the point that it causes something to go wrong, or if Ford THINK that...but you can usually get it serviced at the place where you get the chip - they can fault hunt, and remove the chip completely if it has to go to Ford for warranty repairs....

No the first checkup does not change oil but here is what happened to me. At 13000 km I was down 2 L of oil.... I really think that it is pushing it to 15 000km because what oil there was there was really dirty.... Also was nearly out of coolant! I reckon check at 7500ish, don't wait for 15 000km.

They are changing all the colours soon, buy my choice would probably be black again, or Phantom if I can get it, but if not, then PERHAPS citric acid, which is against my usual kind of choice. I drove a Lightening Strike XR8 and didnt think it looked that good, but I have never been a silver kind of gal.

Hope your'e enjoying the turb - sounds awesome!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top