Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it from Audio Com in Bunbury W.A.....lots of places sell them like electrical places which sell car hi-fi equipment. Mine cost me $699. I dont see why they wanna make them ilegal I found it slows me down most times its just nice to have some reasurrence when you pull up next to a commodore and want to nail it....normally I get ample time when u multi nova is ahead but sometimes I may only get 50metres or so but can get up to 1km on laser guns aparently though I havent passed a laser gun since I got it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They're legal in NZ. I have a Uniden one, (around $ 400) and I have never had a ticket. You can get really powerful ones, such as Bel or Valentine for 1,500 - 2,000, however mine does the job. Lasers guns are the most dangerous, as when your detector sees it, it goes crazy (sounds like space invaders on steroids !) and you have VERY LITTLE time to slow down. Anyway, they have to physically be able to see your car to aim it and you should be able to see them, esp if you are reasonable vigilant.

I'm the same as ELboy, I'm no maniac, but on a straight motorway, at 6:00 am when I drive to work, come on it's got to be the safest road in the whole country (NZ) and I don't see why I can't do 120 or so esp when there's hardly any cars around anyway.

They seem to be best at detecting the radars cops have mounted on their dashboards. Driving back from the holidays I kept picking up a strong signal, then a couple of km's (!) further, a cop car would drive up over the hill or around the corner. Amazing.

You can get the ones which you instal behind your grill, and they also have a built in jammer which means not only can cops not see the thing, but they cannot 'detect' it themselves. However you are looking at 1,500 or so for these and you would have to buy in USA or NZ.

·
Cheerful Idiot
1,614 Posts
We've got one in our XR, we don't go nuts either, mostly comes in handy when you're overtaking or having a quick fang. Not sure which one ours was but it was around $900. Newer models have a GPS function that can store fixed radar locations or false things like petrol stations so it won't go off.

·
Boat Hunting ;)
1,633 Posts
sweet man, I started a thread in the interior garage about these... i want one!! I also dont drive like a maniac, but I think it could be handy to have.

Have you heard anything about a radar dectector detector?? that cops run to catch people, have you heard that they can actually do this??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Bel Detector which is the best brand to get from what I know. I'm not worried about the cops detecting it because they are legal in W.A as you saw in my first post I mount it on my windscreen. Gees they piss you off near petrol stations but!

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
younggun said:

Have you heard anything about a radar dectector detector?? that cops run to catch people, have you heard that they can actually do this??
Yes, they do exist.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Yes Aaron is right

If caught with any form of radar detector I beleive its a $2000 on the spot fine or/and legal action!

The top quality dog barkers start at around $1700 and go as high as $3400

Do the maths....drive safe!

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Ironically the current state of the art in radar detector detection is the Australian developed Stalcar RDD. Gives you a warm feeling to know we are on the leading edge of something.

Fines vary from State to State but in the Police State it is $1050 for possession of one.

Cheers
Russ

·
Boat Hunting ;)
1,633 Posts
I checked it out with the south australian police. Confiscation of detector and only a $200 fine if caught. About the same as a speeding fine.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Man I need one of them but 2 grand fine for posessing one, I've got more chance of beeing caught with one than I do speeding.

Ahh stuff it I'm going to move to the west and become a sand groper!:AAHHH:

·
Wildlife Photographer
1,413 Posts
younggun said:
Mate....it's quite simple, you just buy a radar detector detector detector. You'd be spewing though If the cop pulls out a radar detector detector detector detector !

E

·
0 Posts
VanGelder said:
Mate....it's quite simple, you just buy a radar detector detector detector. You'd be spewing though If the cop pulls out a radar detector detector detector detector !

LOL HAHAHAH :fluffy: :cheeky: :chainsaw: :beer:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts