Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my speedo broke on my way home tonight. everything else still works... just the needle for the speedo doesn't move. not sure why or what broke. any ideas? i have never taking it fully appart, so i really don't know what to expect.

if you know where i could get a new gauge cluster for cheap, i would really appreciate it since this car is my daily driver!

Thanks!!! :coo:

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
For the person who's speedo stopped working... my guess is that the cable probably came off the speedo somewhere... If someone removed the dash before it's possible they broke the retaining clip that holds the cable on the speedo (right behind the gauge cluster).

Otherwise I have heard of the speedo gear in the trans getting messed up, and then there is always the possibility that one of your spider gears in the differential blew up and broke the speedo gear. Not the happiest of possibilities but one non-the-less.

Hope you get it fixed. There are like 3 different screw joints that could've come loose as well, hopefully that's all it is. Just look under the hood.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info.... i did take my dash and all appart a few months ago, but i did not break the retaining clip. i have tomorrow of, so i will take everything appart again and hopefully that's all it is.... a loose cable!

·
NEPO / Probe LX Member
144 Posts
i have had this happen like 4 times to me

first broke didn't get fixed for a month

then had upper speedo cable fixed, worked for a week then stoped again

had the thing fixed, it poped off the lower cable or something

broke again later that day

went a few more weeks went out a speedometer

had teh lower cable replaced

worked for a week and then broke again

and has been broken since it happend which was last week

the thing first broke back in the first week of september

good luck i hope u have better luck than i did

o yea forgot to add that u can only get the cables from ford and they take like 2 weeks to come in after u order them(which is really gay)

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your replies! i really appreciate all of your help!

probesport ~ what's the VSS?

·
Probe Member
106 Posts
I'm assuming that he means the vehicle speed sensor=VSS. I would give the cable and gear housing a visual inspection first. Hopefully it's something easy like the cable snapping. If not that, then start pulling the dash apart for that clip. Good luck!

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
On first gen probes the VSS is mounted in the gauge cluster and internal in the speedometer assembly. That's of course assuming you have the analog gauge assembly, which since you have a GL... you do. The Digital equipt first gens (like my LX) have the VSS, or vehicle speed sensor, mounted on the trans with a two wire connector. All of the analog first gens have cable driven speedos, whereas all of the second gens have the VSS mounted on the trans with a two wire connector because even though they have analog gauges, they are all electronic.

Just FYI... so check the cable...

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright cool!!! i will let you know what i find as i tear into my dash and gauge cluster. i had to work today after all, so i still haven't gotten a chance to take a look at it. i am actually doing pretty well in guessing my speed by the tach! :cool:

thanks again for all of your help! :coo:

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
No problem.. that's what we're all here for.

·
Probe GT
47 Posts
Hey this is only kind of on subject but will the Gt gauges go onto our cars, is it easy to just steal the face. I'm sick of looking at my speedo say 80.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as far as i know.... it will work fine and i have been told that it is best to just switch out the whole speedo gauge and just the face since if you only switch the face... it would throw your speedo off.

i took my dash appart the other day and everything is hooked up perfect. so i guess it must be the VSS and i really do hope that it sits inside the gauge cluster. i am gonna go ahead and get a new one as soon as i get the money to do so. hope that will work.

any other suggestions?

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
Here's the deal.. the VSS is integral with the speedo on our 1st gen cars... If the VSS is bad the speedo will still work. If the cables are connected up in the dash.. then check outside the car in the engine compartment. There is a cable running from the firewall (kindof redish in color) that's the speedo cable and it goes into the upper part of the trans (where the differential is at) There are 2 screw connections under the hood, verify both of them are together. If not then reconnect them... There is a chance that something in the trans could be messed up (the speedo gear is made of plastic).

As for swapping speedos.. the whole speedo MUST go in, not just the face.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll have to check that connection and i know what cable you mean since i ran the cables for my fogs thru that same whole! :bcool: that was two days ago when i checked the connections on the back of the gauges. it is actually very likely that is is the gear in the trans since my trans really has seen better days! :sad:

·
Probe GT
47 Posts
Damn, this place is wonderful, I almost forgot what a helpful reply was like. I think I'll be around here more often for sure!
-Good luck with getting your speedo to work zkiller-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts