Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I was given the oppotunity to drive a VY SS series 2 6sp manual. As a V8 mad Ford fan I didn't have to have to be asked twice to see what the dark side offered. I will try and be as unbiased in my opinion as possible so if I do seem that way forgive me I am a ford man :D . As I have not yet driven an XR I can only compare to my XT.

The Car
The car was a white police issue commodore SS. A friend of mine works for Holden and leases cars every so often (he is not brand loyal, he'll drive any car). He jumped at the opportunity to grab this one. I am not sure what a standard SS looks like compared to a police issue. The only noticeable difference in this one was the digital speed output.

My Thoughts

Exterior
Well being white it looks like a fridge on wheels, but that happens with most cars. It had the 18in rims. I still can't like the back of the car but have got used to it. Compared to the falcon the car just doesn't seem as refined, smooth. But it looks mean from the front. I did like the feature when it became dark the lights would go on automatically. So even when coming back to the car and unlocking it, the lights would go on. I also liked the fact that the power window controls were lit up at night. c'mon Ford how many cents would it cost to do that. However I didn't like how the front doors didn't have them but were on the console, much better to have them on the door handles.

Interior
They have come a long way with the interiors of the commodores. It didn't look too bad but it still had traces of being a 6th generation VT. Seats were comfy and there was HEAPS of room front and back. However the back seats in my XT seemed more accomodating. I am only 5ft 7 so I don't require much. I wasn't too keen on the red dash :AAHHH:. In a white car it looks weired. At night when the dash is lit up you don't see the red. Indicator stalks were light and easy. The cd player console, a/c, etc area was way too busy for my liking. Too many controls. To adjust something while driving it was too easy to pay attention to the buttons rather than the road. The boot seemed a little small and shallow. I expected a big gaping chasm.

The ride
Ok well the car drove well and was DAMN QUICK. As you would expect from 245kw 5.7 V8 it had power. At idle the car sounded lovely, a low burble to signify whats underneath the bonnet. However when giving the car some instead of sounding better the note sounded more like a vacuum cleaner. Maybe a better exhaust system?? Anyway probably the worst thing about the ride would have to be the clutch. Its too damn long. Other cars I have driven never had a clutch like that. But I guess thats how they are. Gear changes were very smooth, no dramas there. Although what the hell is with the 6th gear?? Seems a waste to me. Never even used , not even on the freeway. Brakes were not the best. Felt like stock exec brakes. Ride was stiff, but expected that from a sports sedan (and being a police car). Body roll was evident and if it wasn't for those wide new sticky 235 tyres at the back the car would have lost grip. Just didn't seem as stable on the road as the falcon.

Overall I was impressed by the car, it was quick, drove well and was a V8. However it would take a lot more for me even to consider a holden. But was a good experience.

Now all i need now is to get my butt into an XR :wnc:. Does anyone know if you can hire them from places like Budget and the such??

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
Nice Review there Lurker. A little Biased as you said but a good review never the less. Yeah 6th gear = No use on public roads. Thanks for spending the time writing that up a interesting read mate.

·
Mmm, high pressure wash.
3,086 Posts
AU1SIXA said:
Nice Review there casper.
Check again... :p

Night_Lurker said:
Blah blah blah...
Night_Lurker != Casper! :MrSparkle :HAHA: hehehehe :p

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
Im on drugs see what 4 hours sleep gets ya nothing but a headache and confusion. I even knew that Nigh_Lurker wrote it but my head wrote Casper figure that one out. I think i have casper on my mind for soem reason. I think im just used to him whoring LOL. Thanks for that Andrew.

·
Registered
25 Posts
" I also liked the fact that the power window controls were lit up at night. c'mon Ford how many cents would it cost to do that."

They light up in my car.

·
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forgiven AU1SIXA :) heheh tell you the truth i never noticed. anyway yeah my report seems very biased from reading it now. hmmm
corpex what car do you drive?? Maybe its just BA XT's that don't have the illuminated power windows cause my DEFINETLY doesn't have them.

·
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno but now that you mention it....hmmm might have to find out further...

·
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
outback_ute said:
No, but I do know where you can get Toyota Avalons!
Thanks but NO THANKS heheh :angel:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My wife has just taken delivery of her VYII commodore a couple of hours ago. Will be keen to see how it compares with my ageing AU when she gets home.

Nice report casp........ um Night_Lurker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got an AUII XR8, i'm amazed your BA doesn't have one. I can't see it being an option, but anywayz its no big deal, i wouldn't pay for it if it was.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I actually prefer the power window buttons on the center console rather the doors.
I find it is much quicker to get to them when approaching toll gates, etc, as you are already fondling the gear lever.

Rick.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
The subject off the window switche's lighting up has been brought up before,some of the early BA's had them then all of a sudden some didn't,cost cutting excersise from Ford, I say.

·
walking power
3,035 Posts
I've had the chance of driving a VY11 SS Ute and i was quite happy with that way it drove too. I do agree that the clutch is really long and i have to move the seat pretty far forward just to have full control of it. I also think their interior is a bit more vibrant(this one was the new purpple colour) but at the same time i feel the centre console is a tad messy. The one i drove has ss induction and a full s/s twin system exhaust by D&T and i must admit it sounds pretty good but it need ratios as it doesnt really pull until 3rd gear and by then its time to get out.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Why does everyone bag the 6th gear? Ive driven a VU(I think its that one, VX ute) long distance and 6th gear was real good. It made the car that little bit quiter and was also alot more economical. It was only "ok" at over taking in 6th, but just chuck it back into 4th or 5th if you need to do it quick!!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
ive been for a spinin a VT SS with extarctor and all that stuff so it had about 240kw and too be honest i was a little dissapointed, i kno im a ford fan but after all the praise and excellent reviews i thought it would of been better... i mean it wasnt the awesome acceleration i was expecting, but the car was nice and ride was good... maybe i was expecting too much but with all the tlk that goes on about the gen 3 i was expecting more, seems to me that all the talk is just that, just talk!!! some may say im biased but i really was dissapointed!!! so yer thats my opinion :shrug:

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Nice review Paul....pretty much what I would have expected...although I would have thought the brakes would be strong being a supposed "police issue" car.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Said it before and I'll say it again... I would LOVE a tall tall 6th gear for <2000rpm @ 110kph cruising economy in my XR8... and the fact that I would use it on the freeway would certainly make it useful, NOT useless!

Fair review lurker, agree with your assessment of the interior after spending a little time in a VY2 Calais.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts