Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the power to weight of an ED futura? My car is manual but starting with only 100kw as its carby i didnt think i'd have a chance. The ed was stock since it didnt even have an aftermarket exhaust. They do sound WILD though when givin a floggin, like a small jet taking off :)

Since ive just moved to the goldcoast from country NSW im still getting used to these things you call traffic lights. I can see they are loads of fun though ;)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well my fairmont ED stock engine with full exhaust was 106 kw at the treads or 143 rwhp. teehee i also think it sounds like a jet when she winds up.

·
2.77 is a tall ratio :S
336 Posts
An ea sounds most like a jet I think especially down in the low revs with the clutch fan noise. And with the 3 speed they stay in gear so long it sounds like your car is going to warp speed :p

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This obviously would have been a 4 speed auto being ED. I assume it sounds alot louder when your next to it than being the driver. I loved the sound.

What do ED's weigh-in at? My XF is 1380kgs

·
Registered
847 Posts
hahaha yeah 1st in the auto is so long it does sound like that. Engage

·
Registered
847 Posts
My ED monty is just over 1500 kg
i think

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
you will find the ED monty much closer to 1630 than 1500. the weight in the book is completly dry. No oil/fuel/coolant/YOU.

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
ohhh yeah, and i got beaten by a mates 4.1 carby auto a few times.......*hangs head in shame*

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
yeah you'll have to frame that win..

but as you have a manual the ed had a auto,your car being lighter he's been heavier i can see how you could of managed this..

and yes welcome to the city of traffic lights rofl..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car has extractors, 2.5inch exhaust and rejetted weber, port mached exhaust, balanced, regrind cam....so its not standard, but i've got 2.77 diff too.

Turboblade mags will be on next week ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
fordmuscle_83 said:
Whats the power to weight of an ED futura? My car is manual but starting with only 100kw as its carby i didnt think i'd have a chance. The ed was stock since it didnt even have an aftermarket exhaust. They do sound WILD though when givin a floggin, like a small jet taking off :)

Since ive just moved to the goldcoast from country NSW im still getting used to these things you call traffic lights. I can see they are loads of fun though ;)
Hey fella i believe you my first car was a 81 xd ex cop car and since ive owned a 1990 ea2 and now i own a 96 fairmont and ive gotta tell ya the xd was a fire breather compared to the last two .they reckon these new fuel injected motors are more torquey but thats crap.My old xd done the quarter mile at 12.6secs (0 to 100actually) our ef can only handle15secs .Na i reckon they have all got us hoodwinked mate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My other car is an ED Auto 4sp, the ED will win up to around 40kmph, then my XF EFI will pass it as soon as it pulls into the powerband...

And yes, they do have that whoooosh sound. :)

I was dragging off an EL today on the way to cleveland, and the same thing happened, off the line, the EL would spin the tires and GO, but as soon as my cars sits at around 40 - 70k's in first, she has alot of power, and passed it. :)

It's all to do with my shitty diff I think.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Diffs are where it counts off the line thats for sure

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
yep diff's help in a huge way..

me has one of those on the list to do to my EA..

i owned a wagon XF and it was auto,but once i put the new motor in she was so quick i reckon it'd give me a nice time down the qtr,it was so responsive it was the quickest pre88 ford i been in..
once the wagon (now sold) had its motor done etc i reckon the xf might of held its ow with her..

never underestimate the 4.1's

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I cant believe an X series (Especially XF coz they only have about 87KW stock) 4.1 carby 4 speed manual would beat an ED unless it has had a few things done to it!
I had (my old man owns it now) an XE spac 4 speed carby. With a nice cam and extractors. It did go pretty hard and could take alot of the commies of the time but no way could it beat my mums stock auto ED!

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
I'll second phoenix! I dragged a mate who had a 4.1 XF with extractors and exhaust in my MPFI EA Ghia and left him for dead!! I had a stuffed accelerator cable as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah never underestimate the old 4.1 - Just like any motor you seem to get some bad ones, but you also seem to get some pretty ballsy ones too. I had an XD panel van, and i remember racing an EB from the lights (mate was driving the XD). The XD shat all over it.
Ive also now got an XF with a 4.1 carby and 4spd, all that is done mechanically is a 2.5 exhaust, and its pretty quick once you get into second gear. - Id say it would be more than a match for a 4ltr mpfi auto.

·
Dodgy EA
190 Posts
A mate of mine has a stock as a rock 85 4 speed manual XF wagon and it flogs my 3 speed ea and just keeps pulling further away. It also absolutely flogs another mates stock AU3 auto to around 70km/h, after which the AU will fly past.

Some of those 4.1's are freakishly fast stock

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
I have owned and driven both and unfortunately in my experience the 4 speed manual makes all the difference. My old auto ED was stock and in perfect nick and it ran even with my girlfriends ED.
When I bought my xf i would beat her to around 60 then she would start to catch up and take over by 80-90 k's. That damn auto box is pitiful. I will never buy another auto 6 cylinder falcon again unless i am going to put my turbo on it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PHoeNiX_EB said:
I cant believe an X series (Especially XF coz they only have about 87KW stock) 4.1 carby 4 speed manual would beat an ED unless it has had a few things done to it!
I had (my old man owns it now) an XE spac 4 speed carby. With a nice cam and extractors. It did go pretty hard and could take alot of the commies of the time but no way could it beat my mums stock auto ED!
Where did you get 87kw from phoenix? XF carb had 103kw and the efi 120 odd kw!

I was just wondering on the power/weight ratio of and ED compared to XF, and that being the reason for this thread.

Im pleased i dont have a 3 speed slushbox though :)

Pete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts