Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Ford E350 v10 with 160k. In the last few weeks I have had a problem where the van will crank, but not start. I realized that if the 'service engine' light is ON when the key is turned, then the van WILL start. However, if the 'service engine' light is OFF when the key is turned, then the van WON'T start. Prior to getting to this point, we were thinking it was a fuel/spark issue. Now we are thinking it is more electrical. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what this fix is. The check engine light does NOT come on once the van has started and throws NO codes.

A little back ground, this is a great running van. Runs and drives smooth once it starts. In the past 2 years, not pertaining to this problem, the following have been replaced.
Battery (red top)
Spark Plugs
Ignition Coils
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter

In relation to this current problem, I have replaced the following
CPS,
Ignition Switch
Ignition Lock Cylinder
Empty out the fuel tank (thought it was bad gas at first)
PCM

Let me know what you think.
-Chris

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
When you turn the key if the check engine light doesnt come on at all with all the other dash lights that would mean the ecu isnt getting power. Have you checked the ecu ground at the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you turn the key if the check engine light doesnt come on at all with all the other dash lights that would mean the ecu isnt getting power. Have you checked the ecu ground at the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at the ground around the battery, I looked at all the places the battery is grounded and all locations are secure and tight. Prior I pulled select fuses, last night I pulled all fuses to check them, all were good. I also did a visual inspection from the ECU to the battery to see if any wires has corrosion, rust, or worn. Everything looked good.

I liked your response because I was thinking maybe I had loosened something in a prior repair that is not having good connectivity. But I am not seeing any rouge wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
csteil
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing