Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Will never go back to a 6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much soul searching, I've decided on an NC II Fairlane Ghia V8 for my next chariot. But I still have some general queries, each one will be posted as they come to mind.
I recently learned that both NCs and DCs came with a 9 speaker sound system as standard equipment. Problem is, when sussing out this myth (with the use od digital images) I only managed to count 4- the 2 on the parcel shelf and the pair on the front doors. Is this statement true, or is there some hidden speakers that I obviously dont know about?

·
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA
457 Posts
I think you will find its actually 7 mate. Two tweeters in the dash, two speakers in the front doors, two speakers in the parcel tray and a sub.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mate. I'll pass that on to the webpage owner.

Through an utter fluke, I discovered a DC II LTD for sale in the area- LPG, V8, full leather interior, the whole fruit tree. despite the extra woodgrain and obvious badging and grille, I didn't recall it being much different from a Fairlane Ghia. Is it just the LTD name I'm buying, or is there something those Fairlane owners are really missing out on?

·
AKA: Spaniard
848 Posts
Usually the imply speaker elements hence the terms 2-way, 3-way, etc...

·
Registered
675 Posts
BENSV8 said:
Cheers Mate. I'll pass that on to the webpage owner.

Through an utter fluke, I discovered a DC II LTD for sale in the area- LPG, V8, full leather interior, the whole fruit tree. despite the extra woodgrain and obvious badging and grille, I didn't recall it being much different from a Fairlane Ghia. Is it just the LTD name I'm buying, or is there something those Fairlane owners are really missing out on?

You are pretty much paying for the badge, differences were very little

The DC LTD had leather interior as standard with power front seats.
Also the V8 was standard equipment, although the six was still available as a cheaper 'delete' option (who in their right mind would do that!?!)
The stereo was better, not sure how different it actually was though..

But apart from that it just had more chrome and woodgrain than the 'lane

Whichever way you go, they are both good cars - plenty of goodies in them for the money!. Good choice I reckon

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've learned that this 'premium' sound system was available as standard on LTD models and as a option on Fairlanes. Easiest way to recognise the difference is by looking at the rear parcel shelf for a hump in the middle which houses the sub. on that subject, how big and how powerful is this subwoofer? could it handle a small amp?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dunno about that audio stuff, try asking in the Interior/Audio section of the site is all I can suggest

EDIT: make that the 'In Car Entertainment' section

·
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA
457 Posts
, how big and how powerful is this subwoofer? could it handle a small amp?[/QUOTE]

Its not very big.. looks about an 8 inch. Its not meant to produce heaps of bass but if you get the right cd and fiddle with the bass and treble controls the system does sound good for a "standard" setup. BTW its already amped. The amp is on the drivers side of the boot directly opposite where the jack is located.

·
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA
457 Posts
TIKFD6 said:
The Sub in the premium sound is an 8", and the Factory amp is an Alpine V3.
i have replaced my 8" with a 10" free air Pioneer, and the amp runs that and my rear speakers very well.
any noticable difference in bass by going to the 10 inch?? Is the amp adjustable at all?? I notice it has RCA leads going into it instead of high pass.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah well, doesn't matter anymore. I've replaced the whole system with an Alpine MP3 head unit, V12 4 channel amp, splits up front and 250w 6x9s up back with a sub not too far away. Now THAT'S what I call a Premium sound system!

Those digital speedos are a pain in the ass. And it's not just the constant changing of numbers under accelleration, it's also the fact that the mongrel only reads up to 199 when you know you're doing way more than that! It's going to be replaced shortly, the question is with what- the EB-D S pack/Fairmont/XR instrument panel is the obvious choice, but does anyone know if an EF cluster will fit easily enough? If it doesn't and I stick with the older cluster, how simple is it to get the additional guages (Oil pressure, Volts etc. that arent in the LTD's setup) to be functional?

·
Registered
13 Posts
BENSV8 said:
Ah well, doesn't matter anymore. I've replaced the whole system with an Alpine MP3 head unit, V12 4 channel amp, splits up front and 250w 6x9s up back with a sub not too far away. Now THAT'S what I call a Premium sound system!

Those digital speedos are a pain in the ass. And it's not just the constant changing of numbers under accelleration, it's also the fact that the mongrel only reads up to 199 when you know you're doing way more than that! It's going to be replaced shortly, the question is with what- the EB-D S pack/Fairmont/XR instrument panel is the obvious choice, but does anyone know if an EF cluster will fit easily enough? If it doesn't and I stick with the older cluster, how simple is it to get the additional guages (Oil pressure, Volts etc. that arent in the LTD's setup) to be functional?
nooooooooo ur de-fairlane-ising it! lol i like the digital dash but hate the color orange :p ive seen one converted to blue tho that looked great. the premo sound system is crap in them i reccon but its good that it comes with an amp. i wanted the exact car u have now but now im not so sure v8 use alot of fuel? and do gas tanks need maintainance?

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're after a 'Lane or LTD with decent overtaking power and the occasional ability to drop a skid ;) go for the V8. No offences to the sixes, but in a heavy car like these they aren't much fun. thanks to the miracle of electronic fuel injection, your 1990's V8s dont drink as much as you might think. On the laughing gas my car averages about 12L/100 on the highway and with a 66 Litre tank you can usually fetch about 330 k's to a tank. Petrol only varies slightly in consumption but stings the wallet more. The Ellie spends most of its life on the gas, but the fuel tank's always got Optimax to give it the occasional flush and leave those Commodores at the lights.

Any chance you know how the blue lighting on the dash was done? I've almost replaced all the interior lighting with green LEDs and a matching dash would be awesome!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
the mod i belive was done using leds as well.. i havent found a doco on how to do it yet.. basicaly i think the idea was to change the bulbs for leds with a resistor attached.. id want somone to do it for me because the digital clusters are expensive but it just looks so awesome its well worth it. theres a photo on fordmods.com if u do a search.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That mod was done on a DL Fairlane (from memory) and I'm not sure if it can be done in the same way on the older digital dashes. If I get my hands on a workshop manual (or somebody might be able to research it for me), I'll find out what lights these clusters up. Off the record the dash looks like it's globed so it might just be a case of getting the globes and putting coloured heat shrinking on them. Dont hold me to that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
BENSV8 said:
That mod was done on a DL Fairlane (from memory) and I'm not sure if it can be done in the same way on the older digital dashes. If I get my hands on a workshop manual (or somebody might be able to research it for me), I'll find out what lights these clusters up. Off the record the dash looks like it's globed so it might just be a case of getting the globes and putting coloured heat shrinking on them. Dont hold me to that.

this can and HAS been done to a digital dash from a fairlane or fairmont the same as mine. this is why i suggested it as an alternative to getting a different cluster.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, if it has been proven in the field, the old cluster might stay and cop a light job instead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As for the digital dash only going up to 199Km, the NC Fairlane (at least V8) is spead limited to 200km by the EEC. Unless you remove the limiter, not really going to be an issue. And remeber the limiter is there for a reason.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
the limiter is easily removed replace the ECU with one from a non LWB car... not that we condone 200kph+ :angel:

im in the process of LTDising my NC, and the carpet is all on my back seat. looking at it, god its thick! soooo much sound deadennig and insulation on it compared with the stock one - i cant wait to see how much road noise gets iliminated

my leather seats own! and the fact there electric is a bonus, and i love the wood on the dash and console - pity my T Bar piece os a different colour and style to the rest.....and yes it is a ford piece. perhaps series 1 and 2 got different wood and i have a mix of both series 1 and 2 bits???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts