Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an NC V8 fairlane with about 220k on the clock. It seems to drive quite well, although it does have a few niggling problems (brakes seem a bit worn, interior could do with a bit of a tidy up, antenna no longer works, etc.) Mechanically it seems OK, especially for an 11 year old car.

I'm wondering if there are any particular problems I should look for, like oil leaks, electrics, etc?

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
LOL, this post feels like de-ja-vu

2 years ago i made an almost exact same post:p ended up buying a 7 / 91 NC Fairlane Ghia V8.

cant really say there are any "problems" persae, but just check the usual things, make sure all the elecs work, check the front and rear main seals arent leaking ( it will be leaving puddles all over the ground) get the suspension checked out - $14 spent at pedders for the suspension check could be money well spent...

perhaps get it checked out by the RACV, they do seccond hand car inspections.

check for rust, on NC's it forms on the lower part of the rear dogleg - the piece of metal between the lower part of the rear door and the wheel arch

check the motor doesnt blow smoke / make internal noises on startup from cold, mine does, but i know (now) that it had been neglected pretty badly.....

mines coming up on 300,000kms, and yeah it has its problems, need to do most suspension bushes, motor is getting tired, it needs mags, but yeah its otherwise in great nick so its worth spending the cash on...

·
Slightly Supercharged
464 Posts
As with any e-series, sorry... n series, have a good look at the engine's cooling system. Check for leaks, condition of hoses, evidence of coolant leaking from water pump - so on and so forth.

·
Formerly ef_ghiaI6
676 Posts
they are a great car mate, you wont be sorry. dump it, mags, it will look tuff!
however in saying that, all cars with a few years on them are going to have thier fair share of problems. Ford, Holden, or other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pointers. I'll have a second look for oil leaks (I didn't see any the first time around) and I'll also see if there's any rust. Doesn't blow any smoke. All electrics work, although antenna needs fixing. Steering seemed fine, but I assume suspension is a bit worn by now. I'd factor that into the price. I assume a complete suspension overhaul (new shocks, springs, anti-roll bars) would be about $2k?

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
i have an 92 DC1 LTD and my parents have a 94 DC3 LTD. check the steering for any shuddering at low speeds - this indicates p/s pump wear. on the bootlid, the small metal strip below the taillights can rust, look for it when you open the boot. the automatic transmission is the big issue, should be ok though as all V8s got a trans cooler standard. see how it drives. find out if the rear still has SLS (self leveling suspension - air shocks). these are usually dead.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
yeah sus overhaul is around 2k, good thing is, springs are roughly the same price weather standard or lowered, shocks are a little bit dearer but not much, so get it lowered while ya at it...

how much is the car mate? i paid 5k for mine ( 2 years ago now, when they were still between 9 and 12k).

good ones are around 5k now... average ones are 3 - 4500

hope ya get a good one :thup:

ps i have a pair of low km SLS shocks in my shed.:p
took em out to fit regular gas shocks when i lowered it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're asking $4.5k, but they seemed fairly willing to negotiate, so $4k is probably what they'll accept. I'll have to check how much rego it has. When I think about it, $4k is very little for a lot of car.

By the way, I noticed that the seat height adjustment was broken. It's been broken in every NC fairlane I've seen... is this easy to fix? It seems like a common problem from my experience.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
whats dodgy bout my headlights.............. just cos the grille isnt finished..
lol
my seat adjuster was broken as well...... i think everyone is broken by now.

so i fixed it by fitting LTD interior - hmm electric front seats

·
Formerly ef_ghiaI6
676 Posts
p4r4l3l said:
the problem out of NC v8 is the (nc) part :p

decent price, u can never know what u getting at auctions atleast u can test drive her..
lol! thats coming from an ea driver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for their comments. My plan is to find a decent NC for about $4k, and then slowly spend about $6k getting it to (almost) new condition.

The paint on NC's seem to hold up pretty well, so a bit of TLC should keep it in good nick.

I intend to re-do the suspension, re-do the front end and steering (if necessary), maybe put some new rotors on (brakes seem a little dodgy on all NC's I've driven), tidy up the engine (maybe a new chip and cam?), get some LTD seats and interior trim, some new mags, maybe upgrade the sound if the money will stretch that far. Do you think this is possible for $6-7k?

The NC I'm looking at has a few niggling things that need to be done such as fixing the antenna, fixing the fuel door, replace a missing ashtray, etc. It already has extractors, a 2.5" exhaust and a K&N filter. I don't know if there are any other engine mods, because it's a trade in and the dealer knows nothing about it other than "what you see is what you get" :) It seems like a lot of car for $4k, but then again, I might need to put another $6k into it... and suddenly it doesn't seem like such a bargain.

·
Pimpin the chrome
771 Posts
p4r4l3l said:
the problem out of NC v8 is the (nc) part :p

decent price, u can never know what u getting at auctions atleast u can test drive her..
Maybe if it were a NA I6, NC V8's are nice. Id love a NC2 Ghia (Hmmm wonder why i have NC2 Sportsman interior :p)

I agree with wayne on getting the suspension checked out. If it been used for towing it may be a bit "Sad / worn" in the suspension part.

Gekko said:
It seems like a lot of car for $4k, but then again, I might need to put another $6k into it... and suddenly it doesn't seem like such a bargain.
Yes but after you put the $6 into it, the NC would be pretty damn nice and everthing is done the way you want it :wnc:

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
for sure, 6 - 7k will go a long way fixing up your car.

im just about to spend about 5 on mine, ive picked up a stackload of bargainsso if you hunt around, bargain parts are easy to come by.

dont worry about minor little things like a missing ashtray or a not working elec antenna. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I suppose that's the good thing about a NC, parts are easy to find, especially since the mechanicals are shared with the falcon. I'm off on holidays for a week, but who knows... maybe in the new year I'll be the proud owner :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Noticed this post a bit late, seems everything has been mentioned.

Mine has just hit 171k and the biggest things on my list at the moment are the rust that MADNC_8 mentioned in the lower steel in front of the rear wheels and the suspension. With the rust I was told that there is foam behind that panel and that the water sits in it and promotes the rust. I got a quote for $250 to cut out the rust that is one one side of mine and weld new steel, they are gonna remove the foam on both sides aswell to help prevent it happening again.

I suspect a few bushes maybe a ball joint or two and a wheel alignment wouldn't go astray with the suspension. The SLS has been removed by the previous owner and I'm getting it dumped on it's ass in FEB so the worn bits will get done at the same time.

Another thing I just remembered is the foam in the front seats (specially the drivers) mine was flat as when I bought it 14 months ago and it is worse now. Not very comfortable I can tell ya.

They are a sweet car after a bit of cash has been thrown at em.

Best reason to buy it: So there is one more NC owner on the forums. :)

Good Luck

·
4.0 Turbo Performance
144 Posts
I used to have a V8 NC, and i had constant problems with the Auto trans!. I had the box rebuilt....and still problems. The box kept locking in failsafe mode and clunking etc. I spent $1850 fixing the box and still did it. In six months i lost $5000 on it. i payed $1100 for it and then spent $2000 fixing it, and sold it six months later for $7500. But other than that it wasn't a bad car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts