Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still formulating a plan of attack on my 2002 grand marquis lse with the noise in the valve train. It looks like quite a job to get the valve covers and front cover off the engine, so I think I should go ahead and change the timing chain, guides, and tensioners while it is apart. I am thinking of changing all the valve lash adjusters too and I assume I need to do that one at a time so that the rocker arm goes back on the same cam lobe it came from. Is that correct? I also thought about changing all the rocker arms too but Is it a bad idea to change all the rocker arms without changing the cams? Even if the cams look ok I assume there will be some wear and I am not sure how that would work with new rocker arms with no wear. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,278 Posts
You can reuse the cam with new rockers, or adjusters. But if it’s that big of a noise I’m skeptical that it’s the valvetrain or there may be more damage than you’re anticipating. Pull the valve cover and inspect everything for obvious damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bajarider

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can reuse the cam with new rockers, or adjusters. But if it’s that big of a noise I’m skeptical that it’s the valvetrain or there may be more damage than you’re anticipating. Pull the valve cover and inspect everything for obvious damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sounds like good advice, Thanks
I was thinking of having all the parts on hand when I open it up but you are right, It could be real bad news in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts