Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mod/Probe GTS Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone needs help designing a sub box I have an awesome program. Ive never actually counted but it has over 10,000 subs on file. It can design sealed, ported, single reflex bandpass (4th order), dual reflex bandpass parallel tuned, dual reflex bandpass series tuned (sometimes referred to as 6th order (very difficult to design/build)), and passive radiator enclosures.

Or if you just want/need a cut sheet I can print it and send it snail mail

U

·
0 Posts
Huh?

Dual reflex? Does that mean that the air behind the sub is ported as well as the air in front? Is "series tuned" refering to an enclosure in which the pressure behind the sub is released into the chamber in front of the subs and then controlled with vents before being introduced to the interior of the car? Or both chambers being ported directly into the listening medium. Which is "parallel" and which is "series"? Anyway just to test the program try this. Take my subs and compare what this program says to the manufacturer. They are the XTRPro 12d's.
Sensitivity---94db
Fs------------24hz
Qms-----------9.34
Qes-----------.33
Qts-----------.33
Vas-----------4.73 cu.ft.
Basketdisplacement 244cu.inches
What I got for "4th order" is .86 sealed, 1.06 ported after portdisplacement.
Thats with a F3 at 35Hz.
Which program is it anyway? I have 4 or 5 of them myself, some I like more then others.

·
Mod/Probe GTS Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well parallel is like two ported boxes with the sub in the middle, and series is a ported box firing into another ported box (these designs are patented by Bose) The program is BassBox Pro by Harristech I also have X-over Pro. I ran your desing through and if your going for SPL it should be fine, but as far as SQ im not so sure. Do you know what your tuning frequency is? I figure it might be around 52.85Hz with a bandwidth of 35-70Hz +/- 3dB out of car, and 28.9-51.5 +/- 3dB in car response. This is only simlutated data though

U

·
0 Posts
yeah

I usually like to compare those programs against boxes that I know how they sound. From what you said it sounds about right. Did you buy those programs? Did they come with a mic?
If I was going to compete with the amp I got I'd get 8, 8inch, 8ohm subs that would be very efficient at 79Hz. Mabe after I get tired of these 12's.

The tuning freq for that box was 35Hz. When I was building that box for 4 of those 12's in that bandpass enclosure I accepted the fact that it wouldn't be that loud, just very loud deep bass outside the car and down the street, and 2 blocks ahead of even being able to see the car. In theory 1130/79 is 14 feet but I cant even do that with 12's. I'm not going to do that anymore cause my dog did some damage to 2 of my subs. so I'm going to run only 2 12's in ported enclosures at 35hz, with the intelliq at [email protected] with a 12db slope down to control overexcursion. They'll be getting 700w a piece off my amp.

·
Mod/Probe GTS Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did buy them they retail for around $180 for the programs, I also have a little black box :cool: that test actual driver response. I can tune boxes to the resonance frequency of a car for spl apps., or get the drivers actual Thiele-Small data for extremely accurate/awesome sounding boxes (the little balck box was $300). I also have ProBox 5.0 $120 6 years ago, still a good program though.

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
welp you know what i want my box to look like and hold.. one of these day's i'll have to come up there so you can help me design it.

·
Mod/Probe GTS Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
thats kool of you man .... i have termpro myself .... i run a comp with it everyonce and a while as well. most people would charge good money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts