Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am new to this site, but i need help badly, i have a 1989 ea ford falcon gl station wagon that the motor went in over a year and a half ago, we bought another ea and put the motor out of it into my wagon, now when it was in the other car it worked like a dream, and now since putting it in my wagon it runs like a dog, now to try and fix this we have changed the injectors, changed the water pump, changed the oxygen sensor, changed the calilectic convertor, we have also flushed the motor and changed the water, we have changed all spark plugs and oil and now i need help, my car when you start it is rough, it won't hold idle and constantly stalls when put into gear, it has no power and basically is crappy at the moment. now the thing is it did the same thing with the other motor and we are wondering one could someone help try and work out what the problem could be and the other thing is would it be the gearbox, as it is a borg warner 51 hydraulic transmission and would that be drawing too much power from the engine.

look forward to hearing from you

warm regards
kylie

·
Registered
847 Posts
Have you tried swapping the ECU's over since it all worked fine in the other car. Have you checked the ISC, how much of the original motor and components were swapped over?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
Have you tried swapping the ECU's over since it all worked fine in the other car. Have you checked the ISC, how much of the original motor and components were swapped over?
hi yes i did change the ecu over from the other car to my wagon along with the black box, basically all that was on the other car we have put onto my wagon trying to find out what the problem is, but thanks for that

·
Registered
847 Posts
Maybe check the fuel pressure maybe your pump is on the way out, you could always butcher out the other one.

EDIT: Also maybe the tank and now new injectors need a full on clean. A year and a half of inoperation would have made the fuel almost go to a sludge I would imagine, was the car run still when buggered or was the tank drained?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
Maybe check the fuel pressure maybe your pump is on the way out, you could always butcher out the other one.
hi
when i changed the injectors over we started the car to see if fuel was getting up there, and it was and it was quiet fast , as for checking to see if the fuel pump was on the way out how would you test that or would you just replace it.

thankyou for replying

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6pAc|30nG|00n said:

EDIT: Also maybe the tank and now new injectors need a full on clean. A year and a half of inoperation would have made the fuel almost go to a sludge I would imagine, was the car run still when buggered or was the tank drained?
ok i put the car in to be fixed because it started to get hot that was a year and a half ago, then when i bought the blue ea, it was registered until april of 2003 so we drove it up until then, when it ran out of rego we pulled the motor out and took it to the mechanic and he put it into my wagon, it took him a month to get it operating, and then he would take it for a drive every week on different days, hope that helps to explain it a bit better

thankyou

·
Registered
847 Posts
You dont say whether or not feul pressure has been checked but if its at the mechs now hopefully he has more luck, you better tell him what you have covered or he will probably travel the same path as you have but with a bigger cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
You dont say whether or not feul pressure has been checked but if its at the mechs now hopefully he has more luck, you better tell him what you have covered or he will probably travel the same path as you have but with a bigger cost.
hi its not at the mechanics at present as i only got it back 5 weeks ago, and since that time i have replaced the spark plugs water pump injectors, oil pump fuel pump air filter oil , ecu little black box, calilectic convetor, oxygen sensor, to check the fuel pump how would i do that,

thankyou

hi again
i just want to thankyou, i changed the fuel pump over this morning and it seems at present to be running better, so thankyou for your advice.

kind regards
kylie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
X.treme.F.ury said:
Not a timing problem?

Tried turning the dizzy?
hi we have turned the dizzy a few times as my wagon seems to not like been at the timing it is meant to be at so it runs slightly advanced, so thankyou :bsr:

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
checked the resistance of the sparkplug leads?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
barry_v said:
checked the resistance of the sparkplug leads?
hi
i took your advice from last night and changed the fuel pump, and so far the car seems to be going ok, only problem i have with it now is it is running a bit rich and getting hot, but thankyou for your advice last night:).

kind regards
kylie

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good to see you got it to go ok, just let it run in a bit and see if the ecu leans things off a bit as it was probably starving for fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
Good to see you got it to go ok, just let it run in a bit and see if the ecu leans things off a bit as it was probably starving for fuel.
hi
i will, and thanks again. it still stalls abit when put into gear but hopefully it might correct itself, but if you have any thoughts i would be most willing to listen.

kind regards
kylie

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Glad to hear its working better,

You might also like to replace the in tank fuel filter. Its often neglected but can really get get packed full of crap. The ECU should relearn itself in a couple of days.

Cheers,
xdc351

·
Registered
476 Posts
hey kylie, youve been so nice to these guys, just wondering why someone so kind has the name savagespirit...

·
Registered
847 Posts
You may need to readjust the idle speed do a bit of a search and you should find it.

6pAc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts