Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 94 Probe SE less than a year ago. It has AT with 108,000 miles on it. The first problem I had was the Overdrive Light started flashing on and off when I took a long trip. I could disconnect the ground on the battery and reset the chip, and the light would go off and stay off until the next time I had driven a long time. Whenever the OD light flashed, my transmission changed hard instead of smoothly. After resetting the chip, it changed smoothly again. This went on periodically for months, but I rarely went on long trips, so it didn't happen that often.

Now, suddenly, the gears change hard all the time and sometimes slip, mostly in 3rd. The OD light flashes randomly. I went to several transmission places and was given different remedies.

First I was told to flush out the transmission with a cleaner then change the fluid, which I did, twice. Then I was told the trans was bad. Another told me it could be some type of hook up problem. Everyone seemed to agree the computer chips were bad in that model Probe. One person told me he changed his trans 3 times before he found it was an electrical or chip problem (can't remember which he said). Several said that model trans was made only one year.

I took it to a Ford Dealer who said that 94 transmissions were different. I contacted 3 dealers before I found one who could do a diagnostics on my 94. He ran a diagnostics on it but couldn't tell me what was causing the problem. The test results read "Found pressure low in drive. Roadtest slipping in drive under load and also in overdrive. Needs transmission" He then quoted me a trans for $1653.33 and labor for $552.51, plus tax.

I tried manually changing the gears while driving home and found it changed smoothly if I up- and down-shifted manually. I also found that it did not slip after it went in gear. The next day when I tried to crank up, my battery was low because the interior lights that normally fade out after closing the door had been on all night. I could not get the lights out until I disconnected the ground on the battery and reset the chip.

I have driven for several days now, changing manually and haven't had any serious trouble with the trans. About the only time it shifts hard is when I don't have up enough RPMs before I shift. Can anyone help? Is the electrical trouble just a coincidence, or does the chip affect how the trans changes? I hate to spend so much on a trans if that's not the problem.

Thanks for any help.

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
you have the blinking blue light of death huh? the trans is bad completely.... It is rurnt due to heat. You will need to change it or convert it to 5-speed. I converted mine when my '96 ATX went bad... I had it rebuilt at 27k when i got the blinking blue like orginally. then i just swapped it at 42k.

when Probetalk comes back online, do a search for it there and you will find TONS of horror info about the blinking blue light of death that is all true.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I may check into the 5 speed trans. to see how hard it would be to switch. Love my probe, can't give up on fixing her.

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
Softtspknn said:
Thanks for your help. I may check into the 5 speed trans. to see how hard it would be to switch. Love my probe, can't give up on fixing her.
let me know if you needs some help... also do a search on PT about tranny swaps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
couldnt this be an overdrive pressure switch problem, PSE? like on a chevy 700r4? i dunno, but its cheaper than the swap, maybe summit or jegs has a pcm bypass kit or something... just an idea

1 - 5 of 5 Posts