Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first time on this forum and I'm really hoping that someone here can help me out. My father is the car enthusiast/expert, but I'm posting because I'm the computer expert in the family so I'd like to apologize in advance if I get some of the details wrong.

My family owns a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 that is in great shape except that while driving recently the bearing in the topmost idler pulley froze and the serpentine belt came off. We found a kit on Amazon, Gates brand, that includes the serpentine belt, both idler pulleys, and the tensioner pulley. However, the drive belt idler pulley bolt, washer, and spacer were also damaged when the bearing froze and the kit we found does not include those things.

My dad was able to re-thread the bolt and he's hoping that he'll be able to reuse it when he replaces the idler pulleys, tensioner, and serpentine belt. We've been trying to find a replacement bolt, spacer, and washer in case he isn't able to use the belt he re-threaded, but we're having a very difficult time finding one. We've searched on Amazon, Ebay, Google, Napa Auto Parts, Parts Geek etc with no luck.

While we're able to find individual idler pulleys - my dad's main concern is the top idler pulley as that's the one with the damaged bolt and it's a larger bolt than the one for the bottom idler pulley -, but we're not able to find the bolt, washer, and spacer.

On the top of the bolt KXV 9.8 are engraved, but even with that additional information we're still having trouble finding the correct parts to purchase. We found a bolt that looks almost exactly like the one that we may have to replace, but, according to the parts website we found it on, it doesn't fit our Mercury Mountaineer.

I'm hoping someone here can direct me to a website where I'll be able to purchase a KXV 9.8 flanged bolt for a topmost idler pulley along with the proper washer and spacer. If anyone knows where I can purchase those parts and can help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it. After all, my dad and I have been searching the internet for days trying to find the correct parts with no success and I can tell he's getting frustrated. As a last resort, he'll go to a junkyard to try and find the parts, but I'm still hoping we can find them online so he won't have to spend hours and hours searching.

As I said, any help and information you can provide in regards to purchasing a drive belt idler pulley bolt, KXV 9.8, washer, and spacer for a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your time and help. If you need any additional information, please feel free to let me know and I'll do the best I can to provide it.

Gratefully,
Heather

·
Super Moderator
8,934 Posts
You may need to pull it out of a junk yard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts