Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help please......

what i need is to pick someones brain about whether or not a 1966 c4 would bolt onto a 1977 302.from a thunderbird.... the trans came in the 66 mustang that i bought and was attached to a 289 so i dont know if the bolt patterns will match and if they do can i find a bellhousing from a 77 trans and swap it onto the 66 trans that i have? :AAHHH:

·
Registered
108 Posts
What tranmission was attatched to the 302 Windsor in the first place, and what model Ford is it?

I am thinking of bell-housing bolt pattern mismatch at the moment, bones.

·
Registered Abuser
438 Posts
It should fit .if its a windsor motor and gearbox
Ford changed the bell housing from 5 bolt to 6 bolt in 1965 from then on there all the same pattern. Not sure about cleveland tho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
302xm said:
It should fit .if its a windsor motor and gearbox
Ford changed the bell housing from 5 bolt to 6 bolt in 1965 from then on there all the same pattern. Not sure about cleveland tho
the motor came out of a thunderbird and im not sure if it is a windsor or not..how can i tell? the c4 that i have is from a 1966 mustang which came with a 289....

·
Registered Abuser
438 Posts
I reckon its a 302 windsor If its in a 77 thunderbird, is the thermostat housing on the inlet manifold if it is its a windsor ,cleveland ones bolt to the block.
Count the bolt holes (the 5/8 bolt ones )if there both have six the should bolt together.2 holes on the trans are for dowels fitted to the block dont count them.
When you fit them to gether make sure the torque converter is properly engaged all the way into the trans before fitting otherwise you can seriously damage the trans when bolting the motor/trans together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts