Ford Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Hotrod Drag & Street Car
234 Posts
hi. a cam like that is a cam thats designed to rev. it would be unhappy and rough at low engine speeds but very responsive and powerfull when revving over 3000rpm. as for life of the cam, this will depend greatly on the running in procedure used, the type of lubricant used and of course the quality of the related components, lifters, springs, etc. a cam with a grind pattern like yours will lower the ammount of engine vacuum available to run a brake booster or any other vacuum operated components so a vacuum tank would be a good choice. cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for that can you recommend a running in procedure that would ensure good durability ie lubricants and so forth?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there i need some help with my 302 cleveland powered falcon i pulled the motor out of an xc wagon to put in my sedan a straight swap but as soon as i tryed to start it, it wouldn't start. Ignition timing is spot on the money it is getting plenty of fuel and compression is fair but shouldn't cause a problem however the darned thing just wont even try and kick over.
Can anyone help PLEEEASE!!!!!!!!! :help:

·
Hotrod Drag & Street Car
234 Posts
how strong is the spark, ie. orange spark or blue spark, is it getting spark whith cranking, whats your plug gap? is it flooded , have you tried a squirt of aerostart, does it crank over quickly, any backfiring(exhaust or intake)

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there everyone i have recently built a 351 clevo and its been sitting around for a few months now, i have yet to run it in, but i have been turning it over by hand and lubricating it. We'll it be alright till i run it in? I'm hoping to do so within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks Ben

·
Hotrod Drag & Street Car
234 Posts
hi there everyone i have recently built a 351 clevo and its been sitting around for a few months now, i have yet to run it in, but i have been turning it over by hand and lubricating it. We'll it be alright till i run it in? I'm hoping to do so within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks Ben
Hi, Just leave it as built. It should of been lubed properly on the build up. Turning it over just wipes off the assembly lube, especially on the cam lobes, doing this just causes unneccesary wear on startup. The only thing i do is leave the rocker arms loose/off but only if it has very high lift/spring pressures and its going to sit for a while.
Standard and mild engines can just be assembled, sealed and left alone.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Just joined after having a look around and this seems to be the place to ask so here goes.

Bought an F100 a while ago and was told it was a 351, Only problem is the motor was smokey as hell so swapped it for another which has had a big end knock from the word go but anyway.....

Pulled the original motor apart and find it is only a 302 not the 351 that I was told it had. Not happy but is done.

What i need to know is how to make it a 351 as am recoing the motor to go back in the truck. Do I simply drop a 351 crank in and use the same rods etc or are the rods different between the two.
Am new to all this as have never done any work on a Clevo before, Has all been Jap stuff until now.

Hope it all makes sense and thanks in advance for any help/info.
I have build quite a few aussie 351 clevos!
for good all round torque and power use the 302 block you have and just source a 351 crankshaft to run your 302 rods on ! be sure to mention 302 rods on 351 crank when ordering pistons as there is hyperutectic pistons readily available with a raised gudgeon/wrist pin to accept the longer conrod!
piston remains at tdc for a longer duration with the longer 302 rods creating a better fuel burn across the chamber producing a cheap gain in power !
blocks are basically the same ! the genuine 351 blocks usually have a small notch or relief cut out of the top of each cylinder so that when using the largest intake valves (ive never used them) they don't make contact with the top edge of the cylinder! your 302 block will be fine!
then source a set of aussie 2v closed chamber heads (compression will be a little high so the chambers need a bit of work to increase volume a little!
consult engine builder/head shop!
or research online with open mind and caution!
2v intake manifold !
preferably dual plane for good bottom to mid range torque!
This basic combo with a mid range cam/and valve springs (consult cam grinder/supplier) that match cam will turn your F truck into a go cart! without big bucks!
good practice to toss the multi collet groove valves and fit a set of single collet groove valves (week point) in clevos!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.