Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

On Friday I picked up an XB Falcon for the princely sum of $1900.
Dead straight in Turquise Blue, White vinyl roof, perfect brown interior, excellent running gear although damn sluggish for a 4.1.
Standing 10m away and you'd think the car was perfect.
Not so.
On general 1st and 2nd inspections I believed that the rust in the front quarter panels, lower front doors, base of boot lid and around the boot sealing area. All I needed to do was find replacement panels and get em sprayed.
It has become clear to me (now that I actually bought it :( ) that I'll need to get the whole car resprayed so it doesn't look patchy.
My question is:
Are the front guards/doors exactly the same from XA - XC? I say exactly due the fact that the car has those running stripes down length of the car. I think that are help on by weled on pins (like HX holden). Is this the case? Or do they have holes (like HZ holden)
I don't what to have to drill any holes or such.

All I want to do is swap the panels over with out much fuss, grind out and fill any other rust spots and then take it to a painter that I know.

If you have done similar or could give me any pointers i'd really appreciate it.

Simon

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
If the rust is that hard to see, it can't be major. It might be easier to simply cut it out and bog or weld it up, rather than changing every panel on the car. Not to mention the trouble you'll have finding rust-free panels off an old girl.....
Have a chat to your painter mate perhaps, see what he says?

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
None of the panels really interchange between the model's, they are all totally differnt from model to model and finding panels without rust is like pulling teeth. If yor panels aren't that bad have them welded up, it'll be much easier in the long run than trying to find rust free panels for cars that had rust in them almost from new.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew when I bought it it had rust bad rust in the bottom of the front quarter panels and front doors. Everywhere else can be bogged.
Since the fairlane I had had bad rust in these spots before and I got then fixed up at a panel shop for free (because it was a charity car) I just assumed that they had either got new panels old welded in replacement sections. And I didn't know how much it cost to fix these problems.

Any one know what'll it would cost to weld in replacement sections and new dorr skins, and what these parts will cost?

So methinks I've bitten off more than I can chew, and it'll cost me more than i had estimated.

Any one got two front doors and panels in good nick I can buy off them?

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
As I said above, it is almost impossible to find panels for xb's without rust in them, shame though I've got a set of xa doors with no rust in them whatsoever.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
How big are the rust patches?
Usually, you won't need a whole door skin, rather the panelbeater will be able to weld a plate over the rust hole, bog it up, and paint. Depending on size, it shouldn't be more than a three, four hours labour on top of spraying the car.
Do you know anybody with a welder? Even a little backyard stick welder will do, provided the operator is capable of neat welds. If you have a friend who can help you out with this, it will save the panelbeater a lot of time, and you a lot of money :)

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
Arc welders put too much heat into the panels and warp them, as a panelbeater I wouldn't recommend using one to weld sections into panel steel.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Meh dunno, I've seen it done.
Personally I won't use anything but a MIG, but there you go :)

·
###AND EDGT DRIVER###
713 Posts
siwren said:
Hey guys,

On Friday I picked up an XB Falcon for the princely sum of $1900.
Dead straight in Turquise Blue, White vinyl roof, perfect brown interior, excellent running gear although damn sluggish for a 4.1.
Standing 10m away and you'd think the car was perfect.
Not so.
On general 1st and 2nd inspections I believed that the rust in the front quarter panels, lower front doors, base of boot lid and around the boot sealing area. All I needed to do was find replacement panels and get em sprayed.
It has become clear to me (now that I actually bought it :( ) that I'll need to get the whole car resprayed so it doesn't look patchy.
My question is:
Are the front guards/doors exactly the same from XA - XC? I say exactly due the fact that the car has those running stripes down length of the car. I think that are help on by weled on pins (like HX holden). Is this the case? Or do they have holes (like HZ holden)
I don't what to have to drill any holes or such.

All I want to do is swap the panels over with out much fuss, grind out and fill any other rust spots and then take it to a painter that I know.

If you have done similar or could give me any pointers i'd really appreciate it.

Simon

doors should be the same xa -c or the fairlane zg-h,guard same as xb-c but you are going to be lucky to find any rust free.

you could get rust repair panels from rare spares for the front guards if its a lot of rust.

the side moldings should be stick on all my zh&zg&xc was.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went and looked over the rust really closely. I reckon that the front guards could be repaired okay, the rust is fairly low in the guards, starting just above the chrome running strip along the bottom.
The doors on the other hand are completely rooted. On the passenger door in the corner i could push out a hole i could put my hand through.
So, looks like I at least need doors.

I've got a arc welder and am proficient with it but i would be concerned with warping the panels.

Apollo are you in the blue mountains (refering to mountain men sig) or elsewhere. Do these doors of your have any of the things required to attach the strips? If yes to all the above, are you willing to part with them and for how much?
Also as a panel beater how many hours in volved in patching up the bottom of the front guards, possibly fixing doors (doubt they can be fixed) and fixing up the rust around the top of the boot seal area?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts