Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Australian XR6 Member
124 Posts
HSE2 said:
Anyone have experience with this brand of shock?

Good or otherwise!
I have used both brands of shocks on various fords and my personal preferance is for the Koni's ;)
I find they give a better ride quality (less harsh) plus they are adjustable where the Bilsteins aren't.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
HSE2:
I have used Bilstein all the time and on many cars. I love them. Thing is some people think they are harsh and this is true if you pick the wrong spec. People go into the shop and ask for the sporty shock, however these are designed for track use and this is where Bilstein shines. They have a fantastic design that allows bump characteristics and 'propping' of the corners which improve the handling of any car immeasurably.

The trick here is to go for the touring setting as this will match a road car's requirements. You need to talk to someone who knows the car, the use it is experiencing, and make a correct selection from the catalogue. I have purchased all mine from Heasmans in Sydney, however Guy (the name of the person I bought from) has left and I have not bought Bilstein since then. I can tell you friends were unbelievably impressed with my VP and VS HSVs after installing the CORRECT Bilsteins - improved ride and handling, as well as reduced tramping.

I would call Quadrant in Melbourne and talk it over with them. I will stand by the performance and quality of Bilstein as it has done great things to our EA. If the Bilsteins turn out wrong, you can get them revalved at Baker Brothers or other certified shops to your exact spec. People that use Koni for their adjustablity are shortcutting the development process....

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have Bilsteins on the front of my EB, very good though very pricey @ $420pr. Had Konis on there previously and they were never much good from the day they were installed, one totally s*** itself. it was going to cost almost as much $$$ to rebuild as to replace, so I replaced them with Bilsteins ($30pr cheaper too).
I still have the Konis at home if anyone is interested, make me an offer, they are just taking up room.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
My experience with Konis are identical to Falchoon - except I threw mine out after they laid in the shed for a year or so (was too expensive to fix the buggered one in order to then try and sell them). At this stage I've got Pedders VRD (Comfort Gas) in the Falcon but I've driven a VN Commodore with Bilsteins and it felt great - wasn't harsh at all.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Girlfriend's going Koni on her VK while a mate has Bilstein on his Gemmy. Although he also has some weird as Jap racing coilovers on his Lancer he swears by Bilstein. And I'm stuck with KYB. My suspension bloke reckons Bilstein is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And that is what I am getting told fairly often.
I have a serious rebound problem at the rear I need to fix:(

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
They are in most rally cars! Enough said.
They seem to last heaps as well,ie 10 years.
In most cases copying rally setup is better for
"street",than most other form's of m/sport.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
HSE2 said:
And that is what I am getting told fairly often.
I have a serious rebound problem at the rear I need to fix:(
Be careful not to over damp the rebound - many people over do it and the suspension cannot regain its static level before the next impact. The result is a cumulative effect in bump travel and reduced suspension effectiveness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts