Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm in need for some cam help. I would like to replace my curent hyd cam with a roller cam. I need more rpm. I want to know witch cam would be better and if there is anything I have to do (oiling)if I switch to solid. Here are the specs of my car

1967 fairlane 2 dr hardtop with all glass for less weight
4.88 spool, 28x10 slicks, and caltrac bars
351cj bored 30 over with flat top pistons
Boss 4v close chamber heads with screw in studs and jamer stud girdles.
Msd ing and torker edl intake 3000-7000 rpm

Keep in mind this is a track car. Any help would be app. Thanks

·
Administrator
4,983 Posts
There will be others better able to advise on the finer details of the clevo than me but if you got to a solid cam then you will need adjustable rocker studs and rocker seat to suit to set valve clearance but no other oiling changes are needed to do it. There is an oil restrictor kit that can be fitted to the oil system to push more oil into the crank feed for better durability if you are going to rev quite high. Im unsure if anything else is needed to be done in the block area to accomodate the roller lifters but certainly a roller cam and rockers would make for a better unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I have adjustable roller rockers now and screw in 7/16 studswith the jamer stud girdles. I want to run it up to 6500 7000 tops. I don't think that's too hard after reading up on here. The stock cam I have now drops off at 5000 rpm. Great tourque but the motor wants to run.

·
Administrator
4,983 Posts
Ok i dont think those revs will be too much of a problem. Has the engine been balanced at any stage. That is a big help with more revs for it to rev smoother and hold together longer. If not then maybe an electronic rev limiter may be a help to stop over reving it if you miss a gear or something. With a solid roller cam and rockers and the right grind you may find it revs out pretty good and perhaps past where you should if you have a missed gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it has been balanced to what rpm I don't know? Ill find out as soon as I figure out which cam to run :( I heard of the crane f246 but I want a roller. I have a built 428 cj stroker that I could put in my fairlane, but people I talk to say keep the clevland and I know it has potential, its a tourque motor. I just want to unleash that beast and get my numbers down on the track. Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
4,983 Posts
The Clevo is a good engine with really good power potential from the head design. Let us know what you find as the info may help others and of course makes interesting reading :priest:. Hope it all goes well for you :hy:.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I run a Comp Cams street solid roller, 308R. Its not a very aggressive cam and is easy on valve train, but may leave some power on the table. I just didn't want to wipe anymore lobes with flat tappet cams. Has 662 lift and 262 duration at 50 thou.

In my 3550 pound falcon, i went from 351 cubes and a F246 cam that ran 11.90, to 408 cubes and the 308R and went down to 10.70 over the 1/4 mile. Same AFD 2V heads on both motors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. What rpm range? Do you know if the parker funnelweb 4v is still avail there? What did you do to get the 408ci. Scat crank? Thanks allan

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Nice. What rpm range? Do you know if the parker funnelweb 4v is still avail there? What did you do to get the 408ci. Scat crank? Thanks allan
Not sure of RPM range down low, as i have 4500 Dominator convertor, but up top best times at the track, i had the limiter set at 7400rpm and just touched the limiter a few times.
I think the funnelweb is still availl along with TFC like i run. I think these manifolds are more for 4V heads with tounges or filled intake ports, but probably are fine with std 4V ports.
Yep, just a Scat 4" stroke and 6" H-beam rods and Probe forged pistons. It is a bolt in deal, nor grinding of block or crank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts