Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for my first car and i really want to get an XF. My mate has a 1987 skyline wagon and its time to shut him up. Would a XF 4.1 EFI 5-speed beat his skyline in a drag? Try not to be to biast please. Im pretty sure his engine is the one that holden pinched for the VL.
Also, is there such a thing as a XF 5-speed Fairmont Ghia (factory fitted gearbox). Cos I have looked everywhere but to no luck.
One last thing..if the XF would beat it in a drag..what would be the best mods to put on?
thanx

G

·
0 Posts
I would say the Skyline would beat the XF as it is lighter.
Doubtful if there was a 5 speed manual for a Fairmant Ghia but ask Discovery about that as she be able to give you a definate answer.
What are the best mods depends on how big the piggy bank is. :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yeah there were 5 speed XF Fairmont Ghias, they were even available in EAs. I would say though that they are pretty rare though especially as they are getting on 15 years old now. Might be better just to convert an Auto one over.

A 5 Speed XF Ghia has 11.82kg:1kw
A 5 Speed Skyline GX Wagon has 11.93:1kw (Auto 12.11)

The XF weighs 60kg more but has another 80Nm of torque. I would say if both are in similar mechanical condition the XF would win, but we are talking about 15 years old cars here......

G

·
0 Posts
BTW if you really want to shut your mate up buy a V8 Falcon and you can blow him to the weeds all the time. :D

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
As far as I know,

During the 80's Ford only put five speeds behind 200ci's

The only Fairmont Ghia's to get manuals were ESP and they were four speeds.

I have never seen a manual Ghia and only a minority of Fairmonts, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Fitting one ya self would be the way to go. Also keep in mind VL commodore have a 3.45 diff, so if ya wanna win you have to put a 3.5 behind the manual!!!

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
My 86 model Falcon 250 has a 5 speed manual behind it from the factory, and have seen Fairmont Ghias advertised with the 5 speed manual as well, so they are around, just a mater of looking for them, goodluck ;) :D

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
I believe 5sp T5's were in late production XF's. Avoid BW 0507 (5070? I can never remember) 5 sp from earlier models as can't handle 4.1.

Assuming both cars are in equivalent condition, I'd be inclined to put my money on Skyline if it had Nissan 3lt. Very good motor. Mate had one in a VL when new and it went a lot, lot better than my carb ULP 4.1 XF around same time when both cars were only a few years old. From memory Skyline sedan ran a 3.45 diff (I think VL ran 3.08) where I think manual XF's ran mainly 2.77 (my 4sp does anyway), so Skyline will still accelerate better than engine capacity suggests, but Skyline wagon may have another diff.

From memory again, ULP 4.1 EFI had about 122kw versus about 99kw in carb. When Ford dropped V8 in early '80s the EFI was claimed to accelerate as well as or better than V8 it replaced. I've driven a couple of reasonable condition stock ULP carb and EFI 4.1's lately and I've got to say the EFI, even one with about 30,000k on reco motor, was a disappointment. It's not like it's got heaps more power. I'm not sure I wouldn't just as soon have a srock Weber carb (which can flow close to Holley 350) with a decent intake manifold. Manuals (only driven 4sp single rail) definitely went better than stock auto. Auto EFI with about 170,000k on it didn't go noticeably harder than my stock carb manual with 290,000k on it. Then again it might just be that EFI's I drove were out of tune.

As for mods on 4.1 EFI or carb, effective and fairly affordable basic mods for more punch would be extractors and 2 1/2 exhaust plus 3.23 or higher diff.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice fellas...

i want a v8 (i was driving a 5.8 clevo on my L's), but insurance and everything else that goes with being on your P's is a pain in the arse (so a mate tells me anyway)

cheers

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Put a NOS kit on the XF, then watch your mate's face in your mirror when you cover him with tyre smoke...strictly for the strip only of course.;)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Well if you can find an XF Efi 120kw hooked with a five speed then you'll beat the skyline IMO. I've heard mixed stories about the EFi, that some have had nothin but trouble but some have had no trouble at all.
A 3:32 or higher diff will make the car more toey of the line compared to the 2.77 diff.

But if you want a car thats pretty quick and can spare a few more $$, get an EA S with the 139kw Multipoint, they keep up with VL turbo's no worries.

Wheels have timed it doin 15.5 quarters. Definitly not hangin around.

M

·
0 Posts
FoMoCo4eva said:

One last thing..if the XF would beat it in a drag..what would be the best mods to put on?
thanx
standard diff gears in XF ghia are 2.7 I think. This is good for highway cruising, not off the line accelaration. Change the gears to 3.7 or 3.9 and you will have a show.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:

But if you want a car thats pretty quick and can spare a few more $$, get an EA S with the 139kw Multipoint, they keep up with VL turbo's no worries.

That's what I did instead of improving my XF 4.1 carb and there's no comparison - EA for all its poor reputation is far better car all round and much quicker. Look for one with low 100,000k's. I got 117,000k with excellent body and as new interior for $3,800 in June this year in Melbourne. They are around.

M

·
0 Posts
EA S said:

That's what I did instead of improving my XF 4.1 carb and there's no comparison - EA for all its poor reputation is far better car all round and much quicker. Look for one with low 100,000k's. I got 117,000k with excellent body and as new interior for $3,800 in June this year in Melbourne. They are around.
Yeah, but he might prefer the shape of the XF - and he would get a good XF ghia for the same money.....horses for courses I guess.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
EA S said:

Right on the money there EA S. Geez 117k and a str8 body for an EA is a baby and a beaut interior to boot. Good stuff.
Don't get me wrong i love my XF's as well, what it comes down to is if you can find an immaculate falcon with what ever sort of money your going to spend.
I remember many moons ago when i was still on me L's, i was lookin for an XF it was around the 7k-9k mark back then and geez lookin for one is a needle in a hay stack, just gotta be patient i guess.

M

·
0 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:

Don't get me wrong i love my XF's as well, what it comes down to is if you can find an immaculate falcon with what ever sort of money your going to spend.
Too true - it took me 4 solid months of looking before I found a straight and rust free XF - then hey bingo - ex fleet rare Atlantic Blue one continuous owner s pack...straight as, 4.1 with t5......just need to be patient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts