Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the deal. I cannot find a job for the life of me. I'm not looking for any regular job. I'm trying to find a job in the Computer Tech field, but I am having problems! I have certificates, my degree, etc... but no work experience. I have tried looking for entry level positions, but even they are looking for people with experience... I have checked the states job website, the newspaper, yellow pages, walk-ins, still having a hard time.. why is it so hard to find a comp. tech position!? I don't want to just give up and go to McDonalds or something, but I need to get a job soon, it's really stressing me out!? I've even tried all the job and temp agencies......... what should I DO NOW?

·
NMPOC Bouncer
67 Posts
i know how you feel i am in the same industry and it is hard right now especially with the economy i missed 5 layoffs so far this year and am still here with cut pay and cut hours i even have a buddy who moved up to Denver to see what is out there 2 months ago and he cannot fond a Job if you have already tryed all your avenues hotjobs.com, Monster.com etc and it is feasible i would suggest moving if you cannot do that look into Telecommunications running fiberoptics or something or Cable it is a good paying Job and still Technical if anything happens to me here i will be building 300FT cell phone towers the pay is great but it is 100% Travel you are only home on weekends

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have thought of running cables, but I didnt do much schooling and training in that aspect of the tech world. Basically I know Novell networks, and hardware/software troubleshooting... I have thought of moving out of state, but that thought only hangs with me for a few seconds, because I love it here too much! If there were only a way into a company, I could prove that I am worth moving up eventually....... I have tried the Monster jobs and stuff like that, Alaskan businesses do not really use that resource, so it's useless...

Also, recently the giant oil companies of BP and ARCO merged, which ended up with MANY layoffs, and many of them were techs, so now they are all looking around for jobs (with experience under their belts), which leaves us newly educated, under experienced job seekers in the dust................. ERGH

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've considered it, for a split second. It would entail too much to move an entire family somewhere, not only that, I love this place too much to move......... why, you know of some jobs where you live? Mom was from Ohio, grew up there, says she liked it alot. Upper Syndusky area...

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Enhance your resume. Don't lie but elaborate on your skills. Companies look for people that are not type set into what they do. I have some degrees and stuff in electronics but I'm in charge of financial assests and portfolio management... I have the worst time keeping my check book straight!!! I've never taken a course in finances. Its just that, thank god, they believe I can do it as well as other stuff if need be...

I am a diverse individual. Diversity sells.

(this public message brought to you by you friendly FF post whore):s6:

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've already tweaked my resume, quite a few times! It's about as finely tuned as it's going to get... Diversity is good......... you are correct.......... any more advise, anyone?

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
You may have to take that McDonalds job for awhile... I took a Jack in the Box job for 1 year until I got my foot in the door. Work experience counts... doesn't matter what kind of work, experience is good. I became a certified cook and earned 12.50 and hour by the time I quit. If your sharp and you shine at what you do, it doesn't matter where you start you'll move up and that my friend is your stepping stone.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But I've done the cooking thing, for years - trying to get out of that... but I understand where you are coming from!

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry, I know - nothing gives! I'm starting to make myself depressed!

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Keep your chin up. I know a place in you neck of the woods that may be looking for feild techs in the ATM industry. You can chack see if they are hiring. Info is as follows:

Secure Trans
AK, Anchorage
(907) 561-6712
(907) 561-6713 Fax

That is all I know in that area. Good luck.

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
There are tons of companies here....
Goodyear
Firestone
Lockheed Martin
Summit Racing

My one friend got a job easily at Goodyear as a technical support analyst making $50k starting....

·
Morally Bankrupt
101 Posts

·
Ford Member
11 Posts
Vulcan you mean Sandusky, you'll like Cedar Point...

Hey anyway I'm sorta in the same boat as you, I got a BS IT degree, with 3 different good jobs in the field, but not getting many bites,...

fiveliter302 is right about Akron, I have a friend there now, had a hookup on a decent tech job could of drove 1hr a day for 43k but passed it up, kinda regretting it now. Almost had a gig at Ford but they had a hiring freeze,..ehhh... I have been looking for 3 months, I live between Sandusky and Cleveland, everything is too far right now, just moved back home from college and have to pay shit off.

but my old boss here want's to give me a manager job at a rental store he's opening for 36k, so I'm gonna do that, get my MSCE (7 tests @ 100bucks a pop), A+, Network+, maybe HP Unix certified over the year or so to up my marketability..+ living at home is pure profit for me right now.hhehehehhehe

but as far as I can tell is that knowing someone is the key, you have to "network" ... however that may be..

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, that is one MAJOR thing that I am lacking, a personal network of friends/family in the industry.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me! I have an interview set up with Gateway! Going to try to get a pc repair job through them, right up my alley! That would be the perfect job for me, I know hardware quite well. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!

·
Morally Bankrupt
101 Posts
Another Job Seeker

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
online job places like hotjobs and monster.com can get you some good interviews. i had a resume on monster and had some real good companies call me and i am not even out of college yet!!

one thing about monster though... be sure to put NO TELEMARKETING somewhere on your resume so they will leave you alone for those lame types of jobs...

The city of san diego is always hiring people, i just got in with the city schools here and it was really easy.

they list their jobs seperate from the city itself, have you checked with them??? I just got my friend an electricians job in the school system and he is making good money.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Harley, yeah I checked with Monster Jobs, they usually do not have much of a listing for Alaska. You have to remember this is not California, where there is a million jobs everywhere. But I have this interview with Gateway soon, so I hope I get that job.

That's a funny pic there! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Also, I MAY have an interview with Advanced Business Systems... these are my only hopes right now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts