Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's me again, yep, another problem with the '70. RUST, and it's enough to make me pretty nervous. Both the driver and passenger side floor pans are shot, and I'm just looking for a a good plan that I can execute without spending a ton of money all at once.

IMG_20160502_114716430.jpg

IMG_20160502_114743345.jpg

(Hopefully those attachments came out alright) as you can see, I have some pretty heavy work to do. My plan is to thoroughly clean and disassemble everything around the damage, then take it to my friends' body shop to get it all cut out and the new panels welded in. I'm seeing a few possible issues with this.

1. My car's undercoating is still largely intact, I'm guessing it will all need to come off before I have the panels cut and welded.

2. There is a hydraulic line running near my driver side seat support, is this easy to remove?

3. The rust has eaten through my driver's side seat support too, I can't find a supplier for this part so the rust may need to be cut out and a patch bent and welded to match.

4. No, I'm not getting rid of the car, it's my first car and I refuse to abandon it.

5. The patch panels I've found are longer than the rust spots I have, is it better to cut the panel to fit the car or the car to fit the panel?

6. I'm having trouble finding replacements for the little rubber seat bolt access plugs, does anyone know a source for these?

I really want to do this right, but I don't know much about sheet metal repair so any tips you can send my way or books or youtube videos would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
20,662 Posts
You are better to leave the cutting to whoever is doing the welding or at least let him show you what he wants done .Any undercoating is liable to catch fire when welding , but again , the body shop will be aware of this and take necessary steps to avoid .The hydraulic line may be a brake pipe which is easily removed and then replaced from any retaining clips or possibly replaced if seen better days .Rubber plugs /grommets can usually be got at hardware stores where they usually have a large selection of various types and sizes .

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
"1. My car's undercoating is still largely intact, I'm guessing it will all need to come off before I have the panels cut and welded."

Only enough to clear the area for the welding to prevent contaminants in the weld joints.

"2. There is a hydraulic line running near my driver side seat support, is this easy to remove?"

That depends on how bad the mechanical joints are. If they're really bad, then it's easy, cutters aren't difficult to operate. The assembly becomes the difficult part. If your undercarriage is that bad, it might be worth considering replacing the brake lines as well.

"5. The patch panels I've found are longer than the rust spots I have, is it better to cut the panel to fit the car or the car to fit the panel?"

It depends, which ids easier? For ease of welding, it might be a compromise between the two.

"6. I'm having trouble finding replacements for the little rubber seat bolt access plugs, does anyone know a source for these?"

Not 100% sure of what you have, have you tried Mac's or NPD?

"I really want to do this right, but I don't know much about sheet metal repair so any tips you can send my way or books or youtube videos would be appreciated."

Are you doing the welding? Cleanliness is key. Grind pits to shiny metal and either weld fill or use a good preservative prior to paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts