Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
where can i get this done????? i was told that our trannies shouldn't be able to handle that much more power (350whp)

i know TKT knew of a place but i never bother emailing him any more cause i never get answers for my questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Beefing up a manual isn't all that easy, you could tear apart your trans and send all the gears to be cryo treated.... but that's about it.

You can beef up an automatic just by rebuilding it with better bands and clutches.

Besides, seeing 350whp in a Probe or MX6 isn't as easy as some think. So in other words, worry about a "high performance" MTX when you get to those hp and torque levels.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i'd hate to slap everything back together to find out my first weakest link was the tranny.

·
Probe GT Member
16 Posts
tell you what. after breaking 4 manual trans in second gens...they DEFINATELY ARE the weakest link!!!!!!!!!
if you find any info let me know. there is a sequential 6 speed out there but it costs a mere 14,000 usd!!!!! and numerous modifications.
drew

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Drew Zapadinsky said:
tell you what. after breaking 4 manual trans in second gens...they DEFINATELY ARE the weakest link!!!!!!!!!
if you find any info let me know. there is a sequential 6 speed out there but it costs a mere 14,000 usd!!!!! and numerous modifications.
drew
I would like some elaboration on how you have gone through 4 manual transmissions. There are probably dozens and dozens of explanations for a failed transmission besides running around calling them "weak". Granted I know the thing was not designed for 500 horses, but some explanations for the rest of us would help educate us all, rather than simply calling it weak.

Enjoy.

·
Probe GT Member
16 Posts
1st one was power shifting-boom
2nd wore it out racing to and from the coast daily
3rd damned wrong gl in synthetic fluid
4th downshifting and forcing the issue when passing. needed the revs.
btw, i am extremely hard on manual gearboxes. i actually have 5 for my 73 firebird ready to go when the new season starts!!!
drew

·
Banned
68 Posts
Drew Zapadinsky said:
1st one was power shifting-boom
2nd wore it out racing to and from the coast daily
3rd damned wrong gl in synthetic fluid
4th downshifting and forcing the issue when passing. needed the revs.
btw, i am extremely hard on manual gearboxes. i actually have 5 for my 73 firebird ready to go when the new season starts!!!
drew
The transmissions aren't weak, you just may need some remedial driver's training, as evident by #'s 1, 2, and 4.

My tranny is holding 300ft-lbs pretty well...I can still shift :)

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
I think that the only real thing you should worry about on a MTX transmission is the clutch assemblies.

·
Probe GT Member
16 Posts
Yeah ,
i have changed my shifting habits to unfortunately what has to be a slower shift. i just don't beleive the guts are up to taking the punishment i deal out to them!!!!! :)
drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts