Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Probe Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out last night and a 4 Cylinder accord rolled up and wanted to race. I step on it and our cars were dead even the entire race. I want just a PUNCH to beat out those four cylinders. I dont want to spend more than 50 bucks if possible. What can I do?

·
A-Team Member
263 Posts
depends on what you already got.... and intake would be around $50 for a homemade one that would do the trick to burn those accords :flame:

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
From what I'be heard, you would be lucky to get just about any upgrade at all for below $50, much less something that would really boost the HP. I'm still a Newbie in this forum, but I have learned that unless you install half of this stiff yourself, you will be spending a fortune (unless you have connections) to get it done somewhere.

·
OKPOC - OKC Chapter Prez
105 Posts
problem solved....

weight reduction!!! ;)

For every 100 lbs you shed, you'll gain a carlength or two in the 1/4.... turning a "dead even" race into a 2 CL victory for you!!

best of all, it's free :D

·
P·OBase #2 Owner!
21 Posts
Well considering he's just street racing weight reduction shouldn't be done! If you want to go fast just start searching for places and parts, there are tons of them out there, I have most of them on my base already!

Its going to take a lot of money to go fast there is no way around that. So with that said 50 bucks isn't really going to do **** for you, and the home made depot intakes, if thats what you want great, I have a akimoto and its great!

·
OKPOC - OKC Chapter Prez
105 Posts
locoforwatkins said:
Well considering he's just street racing weight reduction shouldn't be done! If you want to go fast just start searching for places and parts, there are tons of them out there, I have most of them on my base already!
Why not? All I do is streetrace and i'm stripped.... you'd be surprised how much a little weight reduction can do... who the hell uses those tiny back seats anyways??? And who needs a jack and spare when there's fix-a-flat?? :D

Just my .02... do what you want. :shrug:

·
P·OBase #2 Owner!
21 Posts
Well in my opinion if your going from light to light then your really never going to see the true effects of loosing all that weight!

Now if your trying to beat a time down at the track yes!! Weight reduction will ad anywhere from a thousand to a tenth. I have box with 2 tens , spare tire jack and full interior and I kept up with nicely modded PGT off the light with a slipping clutch!

Its all about preferance, but in the end it all comes down to how much your willing to spend on your car to go fast. Yes there are alot of free and inexpsensive things you can do to go fast, but in the end the all might dollar will have to be spent.

·
Probe Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would weight reduction include? and do any of you know of a way to make a custom intake or know how to hack up the air box for more flow? Thanks

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
To add a couple horse power to your car, you can always make a Cold Air Intake (CAI). Parts are cheap (Home Depot!) and when you have someone helping you who knows what they are doing, its a sinch....weight reduction should only be done if youre hard core into racing....not reccamended for the street variety.

·
Probe Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... how do you make the cold air intake from home depot. I at least need to know the materials and i would be able to figure it out.

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
If you really dont use the backseats (and who likes to sit in them anyway) take them out. Theyre pretty heavy, and maybe go w/ a CAI or if you have the money the J-spec cams

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
I did forget about CAI though! probably the cheapest mod you will find that will make somewhat of a significant difference! J-cams are gonna be a pretty good chunk of money though (about $350-400 or so installed I believe)

·
Probe Owner
475 Posts
50$.. go rent a faster car for a day.. thats the ticket...

·
Moderator/founder NCPOC
73 Posts
stavesacre21 said:
I did forget about CAI though! probably the cheapest mod you will find that will make somewhat of a significant difference! J-cams are gonna be a pretty good chunk of money though (about $350-400 or so installed I believe)
Nope the J-spec intake cam shaft cost around 150 and it is a dyno proven 10 HP also remember that the accord has Vetec in it also.

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
ncspeed said:

Nope the J-spec intake cam shaft cost around 150 and it is a dyno proven 10 HP also remember that the accord has Vetec in it also.
AND to have it installed is about 200......meaning 150+200= $350!

Funny how fast money adds up when you have to pay to have stuff done......

·
One Winged Angel
64 Posts
You can install the the J cam yourself. It's not that hard.

·
Moderator/founder NCPOC
73 Posts
ya I did it in about a hour or so with no help just make sure you get your timming correct it is really not that big of a project.

·
Mazda MX6 Member
17 Posts
cai, exhaust adds quite a bit to our cars, and weight reduction, well, you've heard about that. the only think that I don't like (removed spare and jack) is that it seems a little lighter on the back end and I'm used to it handling heavier back there (sliding can be a good thing). I'm thinking about the seat thing too, but it'd look so ugly just sittin there, oh well, have to cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Probe Member
28 Posts
Ok, I guess I have to give that guy a straight answer on some cheap mods.

Testpipe=+10-15hp = 50.00 bucks from Jeff Jaske or Ebay

K/N Cone "Warm" Air Filter = +4-7hp=30.00 bucks from carparts.com

Maxspeed/Borla Exhaust Muffler (absolutely needed if you get the testpipe for better sound quality and gains) = 120.00

I am not 100% factual on the hp gains, but its what I am feeling on my car as I did the mods, but I have some engine mods on my base done too, so I did the rage of minimum to maximum, but I am sure someone will correct me if they disagree. But I think thats what you were really asking.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts