Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Firstly let me say It's good to see a bulletin board where everyone is civil and actually tries to help. Anyway I have just
Got my new AUII XR6 HP (Very hard decision as I was a self confessed Holden man) but After the first month and 8000k's (yes 8000 is correct) the car seems to be loosening up and performing better however I had LPG fitted from new and I was wondering if any one has any advise on how to get better performance particularly low to midrange driveability. While I am very happy with the car (And that fantastic REX rear tv set up,No more whining kids :)) I got seriously beaten from some lights by a basic rep pac VS v6 commodore wagon. I did run him in by about 80-90 k's the accelleration diffrence was huge. So I have about $2000 to play with and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
HORSE POWER FACTORY
257 Posts
Congrats on ur purchase and its good to see
a Holden Owner has realised that FORD IS IT!!
If you want more out of it slap on a pair of
HM Headers with 2.5 or 3" Pipe. Then get a Unichip installed<<< Get rid of that horseshoe intake and put in a 3" SS Mandrel Bend Pipe. That should peak it up to 20KW or more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dont recommend everyone doing the traffic light drag, but there is a technic in launching the au pretty quick off the line.
Mine is an auto box and more than occasionally get abuse. I found that just stepping on the pedal just bogs you down on a grippy road. Average road will make you lose traction for a sec or two and will step out. What I do is to get away quick is jab the pedal about half way down when it reach about 2500+ shift to 2nd and gradually boot the pedal. 2nd is good just over [email protected]+, I dont recommended holding it there.
By then you should have overtaken a commodore by 60 (unless its chev powered). My best performance in a traffic light drag was with an AUII black xr8 at cumberland highway. He got the jump on me when the lights change about half body but I think he just floored think so it made him a bit slower. Head to head to about 110 but had to back off when he back off by then its 130.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys,
But still more questions, Any ideas who in sydney is the best for the advised mods and what sort of $$$ should I expect?
also does the headers and new exhaust make the cabin noise much louder?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Get rid of the LPG, the Tank weighs something like 200Kg(??) So theres half a second right there over the 1/4mile...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Martin I would love to but with about 90,000k's a year I be re mortgaging to afford the petrol. I do when driving hard use petrol and the gas tank is a quite small doughnut type that goes in the spare wheel well it weighs about 108 kgs so its not to bad.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
AUXRHP,

Congrates on choosing a Ford Falcon, and from being a holden man that gets even more credit.
Firstly VS Commo V6 is definitly the quicker commo compared to the later ones. So lets not forget that a falcon will weigh in around 150kg more. So the jump of the lights the commodore will have it. Add to that your car is on Gas not only the tank wieghs heaps the gas system lose's about 13kw at the fly. Once going after 80km/h it's definitly falcon inline 6 territory, the Buick 6 doesn't have top end punch.
Trust me i own a manual EF wagon and i leave those VR-VS's for dead. :)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Dont forget the Auto Commo has a Much shorter first gear ratio vs the Falcon Auto (3.06:1 vs 2.39:1) and its second gear is also shorter.

I can only imagine how well the Auto Falcon would perform if it similar ratios....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello fellow HP owner,
I have a AU I XR6 HP, I spent about $2000 on it. First was a set of H.M. Headers, about $800. K&N air filter($100),TE50 inlet snorkel($20), 2.5in straight through exhaust($300) and a Unichip($1200) came later. My meak little HP produces 138kw at the wheels, which is about 200kw at the flywheel. It roars!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey AUXRHP, I'm a little curious, you said you got LPG fitted from new. I presume you had it done as a factory option or did you get it done aftermarket? The reason I ask is I have a 95XR6 which I recently had LPG fitted. Just last week I was at a Ford dealer looking to update to a new XR8. I asked the salesman as well as the brochure and they both state that LPG is not optional on the XR6,XR6 VCT & XR8, only on the S model. Any comments?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi JAJH

Yep I did have this fitted from new it was done by Gas Power Via Klosters at Newcastle There are many very dodgey gas installers who claim they can do anything but be carefull the best ones in sydney would have to be Premier at Mt Druitt or Riverstone Gas the latter having his own NA fairlane with a powerdyne Supercharger putting out about 210 at the Fly without even an exhaust mod and on GAS!!!I have had a few problems though. surging etc but these have been all but fixed by Riverstone Gas I will very soon get to Premier for a Unichip and a couple of other small mods, In short you can put gas on any IC engine but make sure you ask all the hard questions first.

hope this helps.

PS: 52 usable litre tank about $22.00 getting 380-400 k's every time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey AUXRHP, Yeah I know you can fit gas to any of them but as I was saying Ford don't offer it as an option on the xr's. So, are you saying that Ford had your gas fitted as part of the purchase or did you get it done after? BTW, I had a similiar problem with surging but managed to get it right. I've been very happy with gas, got a 68litre tank, get up to 520klm on a fill, (highway). $22.00 is cheap for a fill, but you're in Sydney, aren't you. I'm in country NSW, near Albury, and gas is 55cents a litre, but still cheap compared to petrol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi JAJH

Yep the gas was arranged by the dealer they usualy do their own gas installs but where to busy to do mine so they outsourced it not a bad job though, its was included in the purchase price of the car and because they arranged it no warranty issues,,,

I wouldn't have done it on a new car without some wty garantee.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
588 Posts
AUXRHP, well, that surprises me as I said earlier I've spoken to a couple of Ford dealers down here and they won't entertain the idea of putting gas on a new xr and the brochure clearly states "Not Available" on xr's, only the "S" model 6 cylinder auto. Considering I'm looking at upgrading to a new $50,000 XR8, I don't want the fuel bill that goes with it. I am in a similiar situation to you and do about 60,000klms anually and LPG makes for a viable alternative.. It seems there's no consistency in what one dealer will do to another. Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Again,

the dealer when I was looking at an XR8 told me that the gas would run fine but stuff up the traction control so if you are prepared to live without it ( more fun anyway)you could do it. Steve at Premierm, Mt Druitt in Sydney has a HSV on gas (dont hold that against him) and he told me he has done this in the past. I know you are a long way from him but maybe he can answer some questions for your dealer.

good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Again,

the dealer when I was looking at an XR8 told me that the gas would run fine but stuff up the traction control so if you are prepared to live without it ( more fun anyway)you could do it. Steve at Premierm, Mt Druitt in Sydney has a HSV on gas (dont hold that against him) and he told me he has done this in the past. I know you are a long way from him but maybe he can answer some questions for your dealer.

good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts