Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
walking power
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to a point where my house is a couple of months away from being finished and im finally gonna buy myself a decent car(current transport datsun 1200 ute). The only prob is i dont really want to buy something old that i'll have to update in a few years, i want to buy something that im gonna keep for a while and its going to be an XR8 or Turbo ute. The problem is the XW is halfway through completion and buying a new car is going to prolong it a bit more.
My other option is to buy something older but still decent(thinking something EL) and try and and finish the XW off sooner.

What would you guys do?

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
the XW doesnt have to be on the road does it? I'd make sure your daily driver is something you can live with every day

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
Get the XR8. That way you have a great road car that will last for years - which will give you the time to do up the XW...

·
walking power
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Casper said:
the XW doesnt have to be on the road does it? I'd make sure your daily driver is something you can live with every day
Thats another thing, it doesnt have to be on the road and when its finished it will probably only get driven once a month.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
get a daily driver (XR8 or Turbo). Ok it delays the XW but for how long??

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
Go the El, you might only drive the xw once a month, but it will turn twice as many heads, and it should give you a bigger buzz knowing that you built it.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
I'd finish the classic. BA's will only go down in price from here, by the time its finished you'll probably be able to buy a BA second hand and not loose any money, but you'll have the XW!

Projects are always delayed for too long. By the time you finish it the thrill is almost gone. The night before the XD hit the road after the first rebuild I didn't sleep a wink.

I doubt a new car could ever do that for me.

·
HSV eater
207 Posts
Looks like you've come pretty far on the XW and it looks sweet, but why not just get an XL V8 ute, theres still plenty of fun, reliability and respect there. Its a decent compromise, IMHO. Good luck with the project

·
Registered
108 Posts
Keep working on the XW, and keep driving what you have on the road until the BA version II's come out, and then make your decision.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Buy a good car already depreciated..Get into the XW thats possibly appreciating...

·
SBR Supporter
1,926 Posts
If you have the ability to buy a BA Falcon, by all means do so. The XW will be a really great car, and the BA will be an excellent car to drive every day.

·
Dual Exhaust Warrior™
1,172 Posts
XRated said:
Buy an EL Fairmont Ghia and then finish the XW. Can't go wrong!
Yep that's what I am going to do. The EL still being a relatively new vehicle with all the comforts of a luxury modern car. Then with the money left over fix the XW. After all XWs are only going up in price as oppossed to late model vehicles. In the end it is up to you mate.. : )

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
I would have to agree here, finish the XW would be a shame to come this far and just not get it done

Get a reliable 2nd car to drive daily and keep the XW for special times

·
Registered
417 Posts
Find a 2nd hand BA V8 and go to capa... will cost less than anything new and you'll have an absolute machine......

This is the middle ground step, leaving you with a littel change to finish the project sooner, and getting you into a hot BA....

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Not sure on this one...I want you to finish the XW quickly :angel: but if you need a new daily then I would suggest you go for one...possibly like has been suggested being an EL. Do what you feel is the best fit for you.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Finish the XW or I will come over and kick your arse !!!
You are really very close ... putting the finsihing of the XW off only increases the risk of getting the sh!ts with it and selling it as an incomplete project

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
yep, should have finished a cleveland powered capri years ago but did exactly what Fordy is contemplating ... plus a couple of times I wanted to sell the xa and was talked out of it by my wife

1 - 20 of 27 Posts