Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started out as a pretty ordinary day, from a minor parking accident smashing one of my Laser's indicators to my trip to Tullamarine being marred by the woeful early morning traffic. The original plan was to check out EFs and ELs at the damaged auctions, but based on early indications I didn't expect to get anything desirable at all.

For example, a reasonably complete XF GL went for $75, while an auto EL XR6 with minor front and rear damage kept climbing to $7700! A relatively high km EF Futura went for $2400, and the only cheap EL was a $750 wreck with basically no workable parts whatsoever.

After sitting through 280 auctions, I did bid on a '97 GLi which was located all the way in Wangaratta - I offered only $1300 knowing towing costs would be ridiculous, and it went for $1400.

Just when I was expecting to walk away empty handed, I won the bid for a comparatively local EL in Warragul. It was a stroke of luck because while it has pretty significant front and rear damage, the many components that will still be good should be in excellent nick.

A few details about the car: it is a very late model '98 EL Futura wagon, and in fact is one of the limited edition 'Sapphire II' packages that were coming out in light of impending arrival of the all-important AU. Its kms are 125k, which is about as low as any of the cars there were. Other features include dual fuel and alloy wheels. I suspect the radiator and thermos will be fubar, but I've already worked out alternatives anyway.

The big problem is trying to get the thing to my place - here's hoping the tow guys are feeling generous.

Anywho, lots of parts (including the AU hybrid motor and full interior :wnc: ) will soon be available. I'll keep you posted.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
yeah but, "TELL EM THE PRICE SON"

What ya pay for it.

So what the plans for it.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now, that matter is between me and my good friends at Visa. :ihi:

I'll be upgrading a few bits here and there (have a long list of unexciting parts - starter motors, fuel pumps etc) and probably keeping the wheels and transmission for myself. We'll see how we go...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i might be interested in some of the LPG parts ;)
keep us updated, glad to hear you picked up something, these auctions are a god send for us E-Series owners :D

the price these cars go for show its a matter of being there on the right day to get what you want.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well list the parts up when ya ready, I may be in-line for some odds and ends, pending price of course :0)

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Hire a car trailer Jack and tow it back yourself! Easily done and will cost you maybe $100 (50 for the trailer, 50 for fuel)

Alex

·
well hung
801 Posts
hey jack what did the ef xr6 go for? I was going to go today but CBF after work in the morning.
Good stuff with your purchace too.

·
E-Series Acting VP
1,432 Posts
Rmyers said:
I think Jack's cars in pieces ATM, so it might be easier said than done...
Not to mention the fact that he has no towbar anymore. :p

Nice pickup Jack! I'm sure you'll have some fun pulling it apart!

Cheers,
Dave

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Hmm, I'm sure there is someone with towbar willing to help? I mean it'd be absolutely rediculously priced to get it towed here by truck.

Alex

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alex, cheers for the tip - it so happens I'm currently researching hiring an EA from rent a bomb. :p

Theman, the manual EF XR6 had several people drooling over it all day, but it was one of the few cars that was still to be auctioned after I'd bought my car and gone home. :sad:

A few other prices of interest though:
* ED auto 'repairable' $1050
* EB 4.0 manual $1100
* VS Executive $1600
* EA GL 4 speed $400
* '94 Pulsar SSS $1400
* AU Fairmont $5600
* '98 EL Ghia $3500
* NC II Fairlane Ghia V8 $1750
* manual EA S $550

and so it goes...

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
id take the 98 EL and EA Manual thankyou.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Thanatos said:
Not to mention the fact that he has no towbar anymore. :p

Nice pickup Jack! I'm sure you'll have some fun pulling it apart!

Cheers,
Dave
I can't believe I forgot bout that :p

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Good stuff man. Should make a nice tidy lil profit from it.
As for gettin it home, If u pay for fule and trailor hire, ill tow the bugger for ya!
PHoeNiX

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
the EL Ghia didnt go for such a bad price!
i seen an EF Ghia go for the same price a few weeks ago in the same condition.
suprising amount of manuals there, mostly auto's when i've gone.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might have yourself a deal there Trent - would be happy to pay a little extra too. :angel:

But are you going to be free tomorrow?

Maybe I can start paying people using EL parts. :p

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Dibs on the BBM, ECU and thermos! j/k :p

Congrats, what other EL's went up and give or take how much?

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few others:

GLi auto $1650
EF GLi $1600
EF Fairmont $2700
XH XR6 $2900

There were some others but I didn't bother sticking around - I'd already spent about 5-6 hours there. :sad:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts