Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day, I'm thinking about putting a GRA cam into my XD (250) and I can't really afford to pay for a professional install, so I was wondering how easy a cam install is, I've done all the home work on it and it seems easy enough but I know from experiance that it isn't always as easy as books make it out to be! Anyone done this before? Any tips? Thanks for the help.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

installing a new cam isnt that hard IF you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Here are a few pointers.

1. Make sure you get new lifters.!!!!!
2. The cam should be supplied with grease - make sure you cover the whole thing in the stuff!!!
3. You should also get some 'break in concentrate' with the cam (really thick oil) use it!!!
4. Make sure the engine is at TDC when you remove the old cam, and install the new cam.
5. In the 4.1L's its actually easier to remove the engine to install the cam.

Also - when breaking in the cam, you have to make sure that you keep the car above 1200 for at least 45 mins (or 1500 for 30 mins) vary the revs, to change the oil splatter pattern on the cam.

After you have run the cam in change the oil and oil filter!.

If you dont understand any part of this, or are unsure in any way - get a mechanic to install it.

(If you are in Sydney, I can recommend a guy who will install for a very reasonable price)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah all sounds pretty simple to me, just one thing, why do you think it would be easier to remove the engine? I was thinking that I would just remove the radiator and the A/C condenser to get to the cam? Ohh yeah, sorry, I'm in Melbourne... not to worry! Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts