Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to upgrading my clevo, had the old combo for 2 years. Want to get the new one under way over the next two weeks.

currently is:

- fully rebuilt 351 with 302 rods flatop pistons
- lumpy hydraulic cam
- ported iron 2v open chambers with adjustable roller rockers
- 750 Vac Sec Holley on Torque Power Dual Plane Manifold
- MSD Billet Dizzy
- Pacemaker Tri Ys
- Toploader and 3.9 rear ratio
- this combo did 235rwkw

want to change to:

- crane 246 solid cam and lifters
- 750 Barry Grant Speed Demon
- CHI 2V 190cc Street Assembly 8005A

after taking to a couple of workshops i think this is a good combo. the reason im going the 2Vs is that im probably after heaps of low down torque, and want to keep the Torque Power Dual Plane (it wont work with the 3Vs)

my question is do any of you guys see any probs with this combo. any idea of an estimated rear wheel power output would be appreciated.

also not looking to restart the CHI v AFD thread...just looking for some advice

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brenx said:
It should go very well. Gammaboy had a similar combo (185cc CHI's) and made over 400rwhp. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.
Thanks brenx. Im ordering the gear this friday so will keep you posted as to howit goes

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think the inlet manifold might let you down slightly, A matched CHI manifold or funnelweb might be a better option.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If you are after "heaps of low down torque" that manifold will be spot on. I would probably get a cam ground to suit your needs. The F246 is a great generic cam, but i bet you could do better with some looking or CHIs imput. And with low down torque in mind, maybe the F238 or similar may suit your needs better.

·
The Deputy Dogg.
1,862 Posts
I must agree with the others, get John to select the cam, Gammaboy gained 50kw when he changed to Johns preffered cam.
And John gave me a choice of 2 with my new setup, i chose the one with 500 extra rpm :) who needs low down power with a 5k stall.:hy:

·
Registered
181 Posts
G'day,I would look at going to a single plane manifold and speak to John at CHI for a cam. I have one that he suggested, problem is, i am yet to do a full power pass.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xw383 said:
G'day,I would look at going to a single plane manifold and speak to John at CHI for a cam. I have one that he suggested, problem is, i am yet to do a full power pass.[/QUOTE

thanks for the advice guys, going to speak to John again on Friday and make sure ive got the cam right. i agree re the manifold not being optimal. but it does give me shitloads down low!!! (good fun from the traffic lights in canberra) really looking forward to the new heads, heard great things about the CHI. John from CHI couldnt be more helpful

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
xw383 said:
It sure would be nice if everyone conducted their business like John. Very helpful and honest.
It great :hy:. I used to run a business I had similarly. I found the same as what I think John is is thinking . Due to being very helpful you ended up being overwhelmed with business and never got a chance to scratch yourself. Busy in business is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Definitely go with whatever John recommends, but I would defiantly discuss with him the single plane option combined with the 185cc Engine Master heads. The runners in the head and manifold flow very well, are nice and small as well as being rather long. These properties can give a motor that is nice and torquey at low revs as well as providing some good intake tuning at higher revs.

It's not really easy to understand, but I highly recommend you (and everybody else) to read through the tuning section in the following document. Basically at any particular rpm of concern, you are looking for a positive pressure wave in the intake and a negative pressure wave in the exhaust during the time when both the inlet and exhaust valves are open.

http://www.proracingsim.com/downloads/ProgramDemos/Dynomation-UsersManual.pdf

I believe that the Crane F248 would be too big for what you are looking for. The camshaft that Gammaboy and others with the original and well proven Engine Masters combination use is closer to the F238 in intake duration, has less exhaust duration and has a lot more aggressive ramps. It will make as much power as a motor with the 225cc 3V heads and a F248, but with around 1000 less rpm. It will have a far broader torque curve and have heaps of vacuum.

·
Boost Is for Pussies
835 Posts
falcon coupe said:
I must agree with the others, get John to select the cam, Gammaboy gained 50kw when he changed to Johns preffered cam.
And John gave me a choice of 2 with my new setup, i chose the one with 500 extra rpm :) who needs low down power with a 5k stall.:hy:
Actually it was 85rwhp gain :D, went from 325 to 410 rwhp :D:D:D

It idles like a stocko Phase three, a little cammy but stock enough sounding to bait people in BA GT/GTPs into thinking they stand a chance :p
Plenty of vac, nicely behaved and screams when you step on it :D

oh yeah, heres the sheet :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered the CHI's today, went the CHI 2V 190cc Competition Assembly 8005A with slightly bigger valves. Also ordered a custom cam by John to suit the dual plane Torque Power manifold (thanks for the tip on that one guys). Should take a month for it all to arrive.

Quick question. My superbird was originally a 302 and for that retro look i want to use to original red rocker covers which i still have. It currently has taller ones on to suit the adjustable roller rockers, which i was told wouldnt fit under the standard covers.

Has anyone made the standard covers fit with adjustable roller rockers???

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
In most instanced they fit. I have heard a few people say theirs didn't, but i never come accross a set that didn't fit. Just try it and see i spose.

·
Boost Is for Pussies
835 Posts
Worst case scenario you remove the baffles under the breathers and run some extra gaskets....
Or trace a gasket and get a pair cut from 1/4" sheet aluminium.

·
Nitrous Junkie
98 Posts
Did John give you any specs on the cam? I'd be interested to see what he comes up with. :) There is a custom Crow that he recommends, around the 235/245 @ 0.050", and approx 0.600" lift. It works extremely well.

For the record we've done a few of the ali 2V combos all have come out as awesome street packages

·
PHAT COUPES
896 Posts
DJS351XD said:
Did John give you any specs on the cam? I'd be interested to see what he comes up with. :) There is a custom Crow that he recommends, around the 235/245 @ 0.050", and approx 0.600" lift. It works extremely well.

For the record we've done a few of the ali 2V combos all have come out as awesome street packages
Though what bussiness did these combos come out of .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts