Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i've got a 1992 Tempo, auto, and i love this car... oh, except for the engine and tranny falling apart...

does anyone know what engines/transmissions are compatable with a 92 ford tempo that i could drop in? if not, how can i find out?

thanks!

U

·
0 Posts
Anything from another tempo from 92-94 or a topaz of the same year. Older models would have different sensors which would cause problems with your computer.

A good way to tell the year is to look at the bumpers. If it has a fake chrome strip in it, it's am 88-91. A 92-94 will have a rubber strip inset into the bumper that is the same color as the body.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anything from another tempo from 92-94 or a topaz of the same year. Older models would have different sensors which would cause problems with your computer.

A good way to tell the year is to look at the bumpers. If it has a fake chrome strip in it, it's am 88-91. A 92-94 will have a rubber strip inset into the bumper that is the same color as the body.

·
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!
626 Posts
yup other than that about all u can do is take the trany of a ranger preferibly close year and make ur tempo a rwd lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, thanks...

so i could put a 92-94 tempo engine and tranny.. hey, is it at all possible to convert my auto to a stick?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, it's been a while, but i got the transmission fixed up, the engine however, i wanna start rebuilding.. i've got a few questions:

what can i do to improve performance and speed?
would a simple re-alignment fix my car from pulling to the right?
and where can i get, and go about installing, a different dash, gauges, and the shifting module (not just the stic, i dont know the name for it, but like the visible P-R-N-D-2-1 console)

i've heard that installing bigger wires and tubes can increase hp. also, there are junkyards near my house, and i can get dashes and speedometers and such, but i'd like to get better looking items (like a GTO wheel and gauges)

i know this is alot, but any info y'all could give me is much appreciated

-Joel E

·
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!
626 Posts
if you want more power from that engine
look into hi performance rings and pistions maybe even ceramic coating for the pistions so they can take sum punishment.
i would defintly get a better or at least a new oil pump.
a new lightweight timing chain to.
if you can find a nice deep oil pan u can reduce sum windage to.
next maybe bore out that block. have every thing honed at least.
as for the head u can stuff the 94 ford ranger 16 valve dual plug head on there but thats gona be an expensive route to go...
so i would just have the head ported and pollished, see if you can have them shave the head to lower deck height to increase compression.
then instal the best valves you can get!
maybe do that cam swap everones talking about here and at www.tempotopaz.com and add in the roller rockers
then take the intake manafold in and have it ported and polished and have them open it up as much as possible !!!!!! snap on a duratech v6 throttlebody and a nice cold air or short ram intake system.
of cource then your gona need sum nice headers and a hi flow cat.
instal a complete digital ignition system or drop in a tfi blaster ignition coil at least 9mm either hi conductor wires or energy supressors. and start hunting for an msd cap and rotor.
get a good accel pickup coil and those new e3 diamond fire spark plugs.
and eventualy nice synthetic race oil.
search for the lighst rims rotors and tires you can find and last try and fabricate a turbo on there or sumthing.
load it full of hi octane gas and blast nos in there. :hy:

forgot to mention get sum serious power fuel injectors www.summitracing.com got these universial 4&6 cyl 600cc injectors
a better fuel rail and a nice race fuel pump. also get an aluminum flywheele and have it machined even more
and find you lighest valve and have the rest balanced to the gram to match that 1

o ya and i would not worry about the gto wheles n indaglo gauges n sh** for a lil while. if u get half this done you wont need stuf like that to say your fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts