Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have a 2003 f250 v10. This is the 2 valve engine and i just had a new one built bored .30 over with flat head pistons. I also put in a new torque converter with the new engine. Otherwise everything else is stock with no tune. I can rev it up just fine and it will idle just fine in park but anytime i go into a gear and put a load on the engine it knocks really bad anytime i give it any gas. There was one code about not having enough coolant and i topped it off and cleared that code and it hasnt come back. Otherwise no codes are showing and im not sure why it is knocking and not giving me any power when i go to drive it.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,451 Posts
A few thoughts in addition to Logan's info: It is important to understand the difference between pre-ignition and knocking. Pre-ignition can be caused by low-grade or old fuel. A knock is much more serious, can result in engine damage, and can be caused by many things including the wrong plugs. My stock V-10 suffers pre-ignition (usually described as "pinging") when running regular fuel. It is much happier running on premium fuel. What fuel are you using and do you know what the compression ratio of the new engine is? You mentioned an overbore. If the combustion area (squish area) remains the same and the cylinder is bored, the compression ratio will increase, albeit slightly, resulting in "pinging". This will possibly require higher grade fuel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts