Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there everyone, I am from the Charlotte area, and I have always owned a small compact sedan. Now that I have kids, who are active, me and the wife have been looking into a SUV or one of the Crossover vehicles that is all the rave. We first went to look at the 2013 Edge. Our first impressions of the vehicle were high, but I am not 100% sold. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't taken a look at the Edge but I've had an Expedition for many years (7 to be exact) and it's never had problems aside from oil leaks. It's roomy and it's a bit of a gas guzzler, but I really recommend it if you have children especially.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Edge is actually very popular and for good reason. Ford seems to have done a pretty good job on it. It looks good, it's has nice space, the power and towing are good, and it has the SUV feel without being huge (which can be a hassle in certain situations).

If you are looking to go "up" from a compact sedan and one of the main reasons you're quoting is "kids" and "active," then consider looking closely at the Ford Escape. Some important differences:

- The Escape starting MSRP is $22,7k. That's $5k less than that of the Edge!

- Still seats 5 (although maybe a bit tighter) like the Edge.

- Still tows 3,500 lbs. like the Edge.

- MPG is 23 on the Escape vs. 19 for the Edge. That will add up QUICK.

I would test drive both. It might be hard to justify the extra $5k on the sticker for the Edge. With the money you save one purchase (far more than $5k if you're doing payments) and fuel cost, you will have more to spend doing stuff with the kids - going out of town, camping, etc. Otherwise, it may be hard to turn down the Edge which is a lot slicker and a bit more roomy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts