Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
N.B. DK please don't merge this it is not just another F6 thread.

Some time ago I burred up and had a spit about a "possible FPV turbo being quicker than the GT".
I have thought about this for a long time and here are my conclusions.

At the time I was a bit annoyed that a new model might be released last year making the GT/GT-P not the top of the range, this didn't happen.
As a motor vehicle manufacturer FPV have to react to their market's requirements including competitors offerings.
HSV seem bring out new models every half hour and now with Herrod and DJR there are alternatives to FPV for FORD enthusiests.
The Typhoon, if/when it is actually released (remember it is only a concept car at this time) will be a major asset to the range. It will appeal to a market sector that may not be buying FPVs now.
It will make a GREAT entry model as a direct competitor for the Clubsport.
This can postion the GT against the R8, the GT-P against the Senator and if we are lucky a XXXX against the GTS.

I am sure the marketing gurus at FPV are way ahead of all of us in their strategy. We think about next year, the guys I met in the NT were TESTING the 2006 model and I suspect there is someone working on the 2008 models somewhere.

As far as the BA2 models, well there has to be some or we all lose, well we could all be driving 2003 model XY GTHOs where the car would be provided free if you signed up and payed in advance for 3 years petrol and tyres......

I remember when I first saw the GT-P at last years Brissy motorshow. The SSX was Holdens's star, the NEW R8 was 260kw and the one you could actually buy was 255kw.

THIS WAS 1 YEAR AGO.

The new model GT & GT-P will be an improved vehicle and if we are REALLY lucky the engine updates will be mostly computer and therefore might fit the BA1.
A new 6 speed will happen, maybe not in October but it will happen.
I do not believe that either Mr Flint or Mr Polites will allow the GT tradition to be sullied just to sell a couple of cars quickley. The Typhoon may be quicker than a GT but I doubt if it will be quicker than a GT-2.

So I am no longer pissed off about the Typhoon... I will not buy one but I will probably buy a GT-P vers 2 or maybe even a limited edition 1 of 400 build XXXX...........

P.S. My GT-P is still the current top of the line and has been without any reservation the most reliable, responsive, relaxing and just plain entertaining motor vehicle I have ever owned or even driven (HSVs, Porsches, M3 and Jags included).

·
FFing Festive
597 Posts
I like what you're saying Flappist, it sums up my thoughts. People have to remember that the GT/GT-P forced HSV into lifting their game substantially and actions speak louder than words. It's premature to get all twisted up about the Typhoon and compare it to the current offerings. This is not to say that people shouldn't be voicing their concerns. I observed that Mr Flint himself was browsing the forums yesterday, almost certainly to check out the storm that blew in with the Typhoon press release. It's clear they have some understanding that if they don't lift the performance bar again they may as well shut up shop. Remember the reason T3 owners were screwed so royally is basically because FPV made quite a leap in the transition from AU to BA. They must do this again even if their bottom offering surpasses the top offering of the moment.

Geez, I've got an XR8 Ute and that was considered by the press to be pretty redundant on it's release (and also panned again in this month's Motor). Doesn't stop me from having heaps of fun in it and being very excited by Ford/FPV's next moves.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
I like it when i read on here how someone feels sorry for current GT owners. Please dont feel sorry for us, i love driving my GT and will for some time to come. There will always be something quicker. I dont just buy my cars for 1/4 mile times....

Now where are my keys......................

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good positive report flappist you hit it right on the head.
Cheers John

·
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh
1,061 Posts
Ford and Holden are just hit volley shots at each other. You release that therefore I release this and in turn you release another etc. The Typhoon is just another phase of FPV's evolution. You can be sure the next GT will be better again and the Territory will be a brialliant car that will offer some things that the GT won't. Holden in turn will bring out something just as good and up the ante. I don't know what I'll be buying in five or six years from now but I know it'll be something awesome. Like others have said, there will allways be a faster car out there, but I know the buzz I get when I drive mine is real and here and now rather than some far off dream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts