Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I put in a new Harmonic ballancer in my ed, as well as a seal about a week previously, but it is still leaking a noticeable amount. Any idea's on how to stop it or why it is still leaking?

Donno

·
345 Posts
If you used a new seal with the old balancer you may have damaged the seal,also check the timing chain tensioner,they are known to leak

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah right said:
You put a new front crank seal in? Are you sure it's that that was leaking in the first place?
She was definately leaking around the timing seal, we took it back to the dealer and the mechanic there put a new seal in. But it still leaked, so Dad and I put in a reconditioned harmonic ballancer. We got out the orriginal using a propper puller and back in using a rubber mallet at first to get it started, then all the way tightening the bolt into the crank and thick washer pulling it in. I'll get the old man to check out the timing chain tensioner. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Donno

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mate ive just put a new seal in the same spot when you put it in did the little metal ring go in w it? Check that first then maybe check the seal under the timing case to see if thats gone its connected to the sump gasket.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
I just noticed the Gregory's and Haynes manuals suggest using a soft faced hammer to tap the balancer on. However, I think hammering the balancer is a no no as, while using a rubber or wooden mallet will prevent damage to the balancer, the crank itself will still be moving and this means the risk of changing the crank endplay and/or damaging the bearings (not designed for the crank to slide laterally on them) or even cracking the crank. You will get away with it 98% of times but can you afford the 2% risk?

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the timing seal has stopped leaking, thats the good news, the bad is the sump gasket appears to also leaking, and according to the ole man, the engine has to be pulled out to fix it :(. First we'll try some STP stop leak then we'll see if its possible to seal it from outside the sump with silicone or something. Thanks for all the help guys.

Donno

·
Not a Joe Lunchpail
309 Posts
You may be able to do it by just lifting the motor with the engine mounts undone but the transmission still in place. I'm not familiar with the particular arrangement but I've done it on other cars.

·
345 Posts
donno said:
Well the timing seal has stopped leaking, thats the good news, the bad is the sump gasket appears to also leaking, and according to the ole man, the engine has to be pulled out to fix it :(. First we'll try some STP stop leak then we'll see if its possible to seal it from outside the sump with silicone or something. Thanks for all the help guys.

Donno
With the sump gasket,check that the bolts are tight,clean around the edges of the sump and put a good seal of oxy sensor safe silicon.Normally works well and easier than taking the motor out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts