Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks as though Ford have got a winner in the new laser.

This is good news...

Ford will sell more than 1700 Laser LXi's to Hertz in a $34 million deal that will see the recently upgraded car become one of the major small cars in the rental company's line-up. "This is a fantastic result for both Ford and Hertz," said Ford National Manager of Fleet Sales Operations, Mr Finbarr O'Connor.

"Recent enhancements to the Laser brand have improved its look, safety and driving dynamics – all of which are benefits Hertz rental customers will appreciate.

"From Ford's perspective, it's a great vote of confidence in the new range, especially as Laser replaces Pulsar and Corolla in the Hertz line-up."

The six-month contract takes effect from July 1 and runs through until December 31. During this time, 1730 Laser LXi's will be added to the Hertz range.

Managing Director of Hertz, Mr James Bowyer, is also pleased with the new contract.

"The new Laser is a great addition to our extensive vehicle line-up. We're positive that our customers will be happy with the decision we've made to bring this car on board."

The contract with Hertz follows a strong new marketing campaign for Laser and reflects increased demand in the private sector.

"Ford has been actively repositioning Laser not just in the private retail sector but also in the government and national fleet arenas," said Mr O'Connor.

"A combination of strong resale value and low operating costs result in Laser customers benefiting from a highly competitive whole-of-life cost. This is reflected in the new contract with Hertz and we're looking forward to expanding on this success."

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Beuty. Laser is now the best looking car in its class IMO i havent driven one though but the seats felt comfortable at the motor show and the interior looked good too. Great to see Ford getting some results with it again.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Sorry to be critical about the news but to me its like selling a car to yourself, real easy but not very profitable.

Ford bought a stake in Hertz back in late 87 for almost two billion dollars and have stuffed around with the company selling 18% and then buying it back again in March this year.

But its not a bad thing though. It just wouldn't have been the hardest deal to present to Hertz.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Unless Ford has mucked around with the set up of the Laser, they would be a very nice car to drive. Even the 1.6L is a decent little engine while the 1.8L is a ripper. And the best bit is they are put together properly by Mazda in Japan. The 2.0L would be a bit of a rocket I think.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
RPO83 said:
Sorry to be critical about the news but to me its like selling a car to yourself, real easy but not very profitable.

Ford bought a stake in Hertz back in late 87 for almost two billion dollars and have stuffed around with the company selling 18% and then buying it back again in March this year.

But its not a bad thing though. It just wouldn't have been the hardest deal to present to Hertz.
I kind of agree. Our company does the same thing with selling products to companies we actually own. Guess it is the bottom line!

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
I used to own a 99 Laser 1.6 Auto. But I was very dissapointed with it.
IT WAS GUTLESS. mostly thanks to the Auto. It also developed a very large number of rattles & squeaks which in the end drove me to trading it on a AUII falcon.

I have since driven (For work) the revised KQ Laser. 1.6 Manual. It is very nice. MUCH quicker than the manual.

Mazda does have a very good build quality, and the cars are put together very well. However some attention needs to be put to NVH. Lots of rattles, Lots of road noise.

1.8L and 2.0L both go like a rocket. great cars.

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
jaytyn said:

I have since driven (For work) the revised KQ Laser. 1.6 Manual. It is very nice. MUCH quicker than the manual.
Whoops, manual manual........
That probably be Manual Auto shouldnt it?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
jaytyn said:
I used to own a 99 Laser 1.6 Auto. But I was very dissapointed with it.
IT WAS GUTLESS. mostly thanks to the Auto. It also developed a very large number of rattles & squeaks which in the end drove me to trading it on a AUII falcon.

Mazda does have a very good build quality, and the cars are put together very well. However some attention needs to be put to NVH. Lots of rattles, Lots of road noise.

1.8L and 2.0L both go like a rocket. great cars.
Friend of mine that does my body work has a laser for his wife. He is always complaining about the noise level for rear seat passengers

·
Forever Ford Follower
558 Posts
I've driven an SR2 and its a really nice drive.. Its got pretty good acceleration and sounds good aswell. I would have to say that if i was planning on spending that much on a first car than i would get it cuz it looks sweet too!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Aussie Falcon said:
:D

At the police station near my work there is marked Laser Police car!
Had to read twice
***getting back on chair still laughing, sides hurting***

but seriously, they are an excellent little car that go hard!

great comments from HSE2, must be "a decoy":wink2:

:thumbup: :damack: :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
batbo6
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing