Ford Forums banner

new member with Cortina oil question

4K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hello everyone; I recently acquired a 1950 MGTD with a 1600 Cortina engine in it. The casting on the block is 2737E 6015A. The PO used an MG dipstick, and I don't know if the level marks are correct. So my question is how much oil is in the crankcase of this engine when its full? In other words, how much oil should I add when I change the oil and filter? Once I have this amount, I'll file a new full mark. The engine is fitted with two nice Weber 40DOEs and an exposed exhaust header. Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
Always loved the MG TD cars and still do , that number identifies your engine as 1600 xflow

Lotus / Ford Blocks

And this gives capacities

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/oil_coolant_capacity/1969/907070/ford_cortina_1600_e.html

Some more info ,

Ford Kent Crossflow Tuning Guide - Tuning Guides
Thanks! I have seen that info online, and also collected various answers from club members and technicians all over the world. The answers range from 105.6 fl. oz (U.S.) to 150.4 US fl. oz. That last one is from the first website you forwarded. That is a huge spread! Now, I'm wondering if the former owner welded a cute MG knob onto a Cortina dipstick, and if so, did he weld the stop in the correct place. I have attached two photos that show my dipstick, with its rather unique font and characters, and also the total distance from the tip to the stop (about 11 inches) Could someone send me a photo of their dipstick with legible font and alongside a tape measure? Then I can determine if this is really a Cortina dipstick with a MG knob. Thanks so much

Attachments

#5 ·
I worked on those cars of that era for years and cant recall ever seeing a dipstick like that on any of them . Also in a MG dealership . Looks like a home made effort , especially with the markings .Never ever seen a dipstick on those cars with the markings between the two lines defined as " half " , it was always indicating a pint of oil needed .

#6 ·
I worked on those cars of that era for years and cant recall ever seeing a dipstick like that on any of them . Also in a MG dealership . Looks like a home made effort , especially with the markings .Never ever seen a dipstick on those cars with the markings between the two lines defined as " half " , it was always indicating a pint of oil needed .
Would it be possible for anyone in this group to accurately measure from the dipstick stop to the full line? This would have to be on a Cortina with a 1600 Xflow and a stock sump. Then I could put this question to bed.
Thanks a lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.