Ford Forums banner

New Mod idea?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Gil Starr 
#1 ·
I had a dream (nightmarish actually) and in part of the dream, I saw this really cool thing that I think would be great if it could be done. You know when something goes wrong on the probe, you need to hook a machine up to grab the codes, right? Well, in my dream I had this moniter that was part of the console area that told me what was wrong and what you needed to do to fix it. Instant answer! I love that, but is it actually possible on our cars?

#4 ·
Quad, not what Im talking about. What I saw in my dream was this moniter devoted solely to this purpose. When something went wrong, not only would the problem pop up on this moniter, but it would tell you how to remedy it. No special tool needed to diagnose it.

#5 ·
Yeah, it's called a tech (mechanic). Just lock one up in your trunk for good measure. It will require food and water occasionally, but be otherwise unintrusive :D:D

PS - what happens when the monitor goes bad? :D

It's a good idea, but the electronics needed to install so many new sensors would probably double the maintenance needs. Very much doable, but it would take more work than it would be worth. You'd have to have a computer (CPU), an encyclopedic resource for repair procedures, and many extra sensors and monitoring devices installed.

A cool concept, but probably only feasible in an OEM format (From the factory where it would be built in with that purpose).

Some of the luxury cars/sedans have this feature already on a limited scale (except for the 'how to fix it' part).

#6 ·
Hey Dan, this can be your new secret mod! hehehe. Well, I think it would be cool if i could do this to my car...it would be original! hehe. Interesting concept, but I like the mechanic in the trunk idea better.

#9 ·
I can't recall the url, but there is a program available for free on the Internet that will report codes and show graphical data about the engine on a laptop. The kick is the cable that you need to hook up to the OBII connecter is about $250.

#10 ·
Nice dream! I get alot of my inspiration that way!!

I've been researching an affordable diagnostic device by Acron that is specific to the probe/mx-6/626 combination. Basically it would cover the following:

Ford MECS Mazda/Probe
Read KOEO/KOER codes
Switch monitor test
STAR tester mode
See the Application Guide for specific vehicle coverage

Unfortunatly, the cost to make it a permanent fixture in the vehicle would far exceed its worth unless incorporated as OEM as mentioned before. So for now I will be happy to diagnos my car and see the suggested repair by plugging and unplugging it. Besides, I could help out fellow members who come over!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.