Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm a newbee

Do you know any performance parts i can put on my probe?? I'v been looking on the net and cant find anything. I can find some stuff for thr 93 model and up, but non for 89.

I'm looking for engine mods suspention, and maybe a nice front and rear bumper. I'm looking into a turbo, but my gues is that it will have to be custom made.

My goal is to have a well hendaling car (maybe some cup kits or coilovers), with good get up and go. Maybe around 150, 200 whp. anyone achived around 150 whp with the first gen probes??

please if you know where i can find some performace parts, let me know. thank you.

I'll definetly search this board for answers to my questions

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finaly found a Ford probe forum, I alway hang out at focaljet.com, but now i can hang out in both forums. :)

Anyway, this just came to my attention as my friend asked me. "Would it be posible to swap a Focus ZX3 engine and tranny into the probe??" would this be even posible??

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
Rafal said:
I finaly found a Ford probe forum, I alway hang out at focaljet.com, but now i can hang out in both forums. :)

Anyway, this just came to my attention as my friend asked me. "Would it be posible to swap a Focus ZX3 engine and tranny into the probe??" would this be even posible??
WHY???? please... ohh please.... tell me why??? if you want to swap anything into your probe, get a FE3. they make 170 HP 160 torque. redline on these fines pieces of work is 7500-8000 and to top it all off, they can be turboed on stock internals. hell, if you are lucky, you might even be able to get a stock turbo from europe or japan for it. if you want i can give you all the info on how and where to get these as well as everything else you would need.

as far as performance parts go for the 1st gen probe. my personal favourite still is Homedepod Motorsports! :bcool: seriously, home made mods kick ass.

but if you want aftermarket parts, try either one of these...

http://www.ptuning.com
http://www.nopionline.com

hope that helps you out a little! and welcome to our board. hope to see you around here more often in the future! :whiskey:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FE3, please more info, i'm all ear's. I'm guessing its a 4 cylinder? who makes its and which cars have it so i can go to the car wreckers and pick one up. I really want to swap engine and tranny in the upcoming summer. Turbo oh yes i like that :)

thank you zkiller

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
FE3!

Mazda, of course, make the FE3 engine and it is a 2.0L I4, DOHC, 16 valve, with 170hp. There is an even rarer form of it that came on the 323GTX rally car and it has the turbo pumping out 260hp. A guy in Florida sells the non turbo form of the engine for $1500.00 and his name is Jay B. (or boostedmx6 on Probetalk.com). He is also developing a turbo version for the US/ North America. Unfortunately I do not know how to reach him.

Parts for the 1Gen GL... Yeah, they're out there but they are definitely hard to find. Nopi and pttunning have been mention already, I think. Some other places to look are www.probesport.com and www.corksport.com (but you need to look in the MX6 section for corksport).
Another place for ideas is www.performanceprobe.com

Bolt-on turbo...hmmm... no dice there. I have looked everywhere for a similar application but nothing doing. It would be cheaper and easier to transplant the GT engine, tranny, and ECU into your GL.

See my signature for my website, if you would like to compare notes with. or drop me a line sometime at [email protected] and let me know how your project car is coming along.

Other than that, Welcome to the fold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I will drfinetaly look into a GT engine and tranny.
I also found an AWD drive train from a mazda car that might fit. AWD Probe hmm interesting i'm gonna look into it as well

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
yeah, i was talking about Jay B also. i have his email addy somewhere. i'll have to look it up and i'll post it later or tomorrow.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
just a thought. stick with a mazda engine. they are more reliable and should be easier to fit into your car being that the probe is made by mazda.

K

·
0 Posts
by FE3 did you mean the engine that came in the first gen. GTs? It came with a 2.2 with 145hp and 180tq. Also, I would just look into getting an entire GT engine and putting it in. I have looked everywhere for mods for my GL and they are there but don't add up to a whole lot more power. For about the same price, you could just drop in a GT or what I would do it just find an entire GT. In PA, they are going for between $1000 and $2000 which is a great deal for a car that can put out an easy 180-200hp. with simple mods (Gotta love the turbo!!!) But thats just my opinion...

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Engine Basics 101

The GT engine is an F2T and is basically the GL engine with some different characteristics (such as Turbo, compression ratios, etc...). While the FE3 engine is discribed above.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
the GT's make 147 HP and 190 torque. sorry, i just had to get those highly impressive torque numbers right! :)

the FE3 came in the 323 GTX rally car as well as a few other cars. i am pretty sure that pegou (don't know how to spell that... it's a french car maker) made a turbo version of it in europe also. i remember talking to Jay B about it. there also was a version of the MX-6 that with it called a Capella available in both europe and japan. it also was an option for the 626.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its time for me to make a decision. as i understand the FE3 is only made in Australia and some parst of europe. I got a hold of Jay B by e-mail, he said he can get me one.
well, i'm going to a scrap yard in the next couple of days to see if they have any GT Probes out there. If i can get one i got a whole winter to rebuild the engine and then in summer time pop her in into my GL :)

It would probably be haderd for me to get parts for the FE3 engine than the F2T since I live in Canada.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
2k sounds a bit pricy for a GT engine!!! you can get them for 500 or sometimes even less. you should try contacting chris (RAW POWER on Probetalk.com) and he should be able to get you everything you need to swap in a GT engine.

it doesn't matter which engine you decide to go with, you will need more than a new engine to just drop into your probe. you will need to get a GT tranny, ECU, CV axles and bigger spindle to support the axles as well as some misc other parts. if you go with the GT engine you will also have to get the turbo, intercooler and IC piping.

just wanted to make sure that you are aware of this. a GL-GT swap can be completed in a weekend under the right circumstanses.

chris's (the probe god's) email is... [email protected]

hope that helps you out some more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much zkiller, this helps a lot. I was just about to ask what's all that i have to change when i do the swap.
I will definetaly email chris.

Thanx again :)

B

·
0 Posts
Fe3T did not came in 323GT-X....or even GT-R rally cars......that engine came in 626 rally car AND some VERY VERY VERY rare promotional mx6s.

not all Fe3Ns produce 170Hp only high compression (10 to 1) version.....the turbo friendly version uses 9.5 to 1 and produces 140hp, not to say that 10 to 1 cant be turbocharged.

the engine was a standard fitment across japan in higer class models of GDs and GVs(though most had RF, later with Pressure Wave Supercharger(which looks like it can fit) and even later with turbo)......well short of F6 and F8 blocks....while F2T was mostly imported. while there also was very rare early model of 626 GD(produced for about 2-3 months late in 87) that had similar V6 to the KJ.

Fe3 WAS NEVER AVALIBLE IN 323......

and capella is 626 in other markets.......capella c2 is mx6.....different places differnt names.

just clearing up some things

B

·
0 Posts
that will be B6T/BPT(most likely B6T).....that engine is very similar to Fe3 but not quet same :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts