·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please advise if in the wrong area

i have a 2001 Ford AU wagon
the head is off
the timing chain and cover is off
do I need to put the head back on first, to get the timing chain TDC?
looking forward to all and any reply’s
have a great day
Louisa

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to fig. 39 in the ford manual, the idle sprocket dot lines up with the cam and the line lines up with the tag
Is that right? Because another pic shows the line lines up with the cam
Am I right thinking the dot should line up with the cam

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
Yes the head must be on to set the timing. Figure 39 in section 8-2 is correct and is the same as fIgure 11 in section 8-1. Ditto in the Max Ellery Manual as per attached pic. I always use a timing whistle similar to this MG 8016MRG Mr.Gasket TDC Whistle | eBay to find TDC. Like this:
But you can use a balloon too e.g.
or a compression and vacuum gauge

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the head must be on to set the timing. Figure 39 in section 8-2 is correct and is the same as fIgure 11 in section 8-1. Ditto in the Max Ellery Manual as per attached pic. I always use a timing whistle similar to this MG 8016MRG Mr.Gasket TDC Whistle | eBay to find TDC. Like this:
But you can use a balloon too e.g.
or a compression and vacuum gauge
Problem is that i have to replace the timing cover. I didnt think i could do that with the head on. Thanks for the videos. My problem is that i have two marks and was unsure if they were at the correct place, as my pic shows.
Gear Crankset Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
Yes; you need to have either head or the sump off to replace the timing cover but you set the timing after the timing cover and head are back in place. You usually keep the timng chain on the camshaft sprocket with cable ties or similar so the timing is not changed when you take take the camshaft sprocket off to remove the head. You have to be very careful to lift head vertically well clear of the sprocket and chain guides before swinging the head out of the engine bay as it is very easy to catch the head on the guides that protude through the sapce at the front of the head and snap them off. I usually use a engine lifting crane to lift the head to reduce this risk as it it is heavier and more awkward to handle than you may think.

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
You don't have VCT (Variable Camshaft Timing) six do you? If so read section 8-4 of the factory workshop manual carefully particularly the warning about removing the VCT unit from its sprocket or rotating the engine with sproket off the camshaft or the chain removed so that the timing is altered.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't have VCT (Variable Camshaft Timing) six do you? If so read section 8-4 of the factory workshop manual carefully particularly the warning about removing the VCT unit from its sprocket or rotating the engine so that the timing is altered.

The cam chain broke, that’s why I couldn’t keep it connected To the cam shaft sprocket. (That would be too easy)

No it’s not VCT. I’m going to use a dial indicator gauge to get TDC. By your diagrams, No. 2 on my pic should be lined up with the point on the cam at TDC. Are we both on the same page?
thanks for your help

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Crankset Gear

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
Ok Agreed. Just make sure you have number 1 cylinder at TDC on the compression and not the exhaust stroke. Was there any other collateral damage with the chain braking? Are the chain guides and tensioner OK?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I watched the videos, but they are with the head on. How do i find the compression stroke TDC without the head on. Remembering that my chain and guards and cover are all still off

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
You cannot do it with the head off as, if the head is off or the timing chain is removed, there is no difference between TDC (of either the piston or crankshaft) before intake and combustion or the intake and exhaust stroke. It relates to the valve train's position or when the valves are open or closed not the piston's position. Watch:

and

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I said No. 2 lined up. but i think it should be No.1. that lines up with the cam. There are two indents, on the idle sprocket. They are in green. I believe No.2 lines up with the chain. As per photos.
Thanks for your help. Videos have been great. I'm learning as I go.
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Motor vehicle
Font Handwriting Parallel Technology Circle

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
No it would leak badly if you did that. If it's just the half circle gasket that is stretched, just buy a new gasket set (e.g. Durapro Oil Pan Sump Gasket suits Ford Falcon AU-AU III 4.0 Litre (SOHC 12 Valve | eBay ) and fit that bit sealing the ends with a bead of sealant as instructed in the factory workshop manual where the two ends meet the flat gasket. If it's been fitted with the later continuous gasket (e.g SUMP/OIL PAN GASKET - FORD FAIRLANE FALCON AU 4.0L 9/98-2002 INC TICKFORD | eBay) I guess you could cut the old half circle piece off square with stanley knife with a new blade (so it's as sharp as possible) and fit one of the new half circle bit from the old style 4 piece gasket set.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts