Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘m considering to buy the next generation Ranger with the 2.0 biturbo engine (210 hp, 500 Nm). The engine is listed as Euro 4 here in the Philippines and I am curious to know if it can be converted to EURO VI by adding AdBlue technology in case I want to ship the car to Europe in 2025.

Does anyone have experience with such an upgrade maybe from another country in the region? I know the model was launched in Thailand (location of manufacture/assembly) earlier this year likely with similar/same specs.

·
Super Moderator
23,844 Posts
Not worth the hassle and the money if you are thinking of bringing to the EU .

AND

Diesel vehicles can potentially be converted to meet Euro 6 emission standards. Because a large part of the process to reduce harmful gases takes place in the exhaust system, it’s a more viable option.

Upgrading an existing car to Euro 6 is very expensive
Converting older vehicles to Euro 6 only really makes sense for commercial vehicles
But while you could potentially upgrade any diesel, it doesn’t make sense for most motorists. It will add weight, require substantial space around the exhaust system, and the cost is likely to outweigh the benefit.

That’s why most conversion services and products are aimed at the commercial market, particularly larger and more expensive vehicles. SCR systems range from around £1,200 to £3,000.

There’s also an issue that there’s no current certification for retrofit systems. So it’s difficult to know whether or not your work will result in a Euro 6 compliant car. Or whether the work will be recognised by authorities operating the low emissions zones in the UK and Europe.

In Germany, the transport ministry has released guides for getting regulatory approval on retrofitted exhaust systems, with Volkswagen and Daimler offering to cover some of the costs. But in the UK, the focus so far has been on upgrading public vehicles including buses and black cabs.

Ultimately if you’re considering converting an older diesel to meet the Euro 6 emission standards, it’s probably worth waiting if possible. As it becomes a more common need, the process should become cheaper and easier. But at the moment, it’s hard to justify on practical and financial grounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am still checking with Ford PH and DE on what they offer. Alternatively, I found this retrofit service which is currently only doing certain Volvo and Mercedes models. Maybe by 2025 they will have expanded into Ford models too. Yes, cost is around €3,500 without government subsidies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts