Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading the motoring section in Friday's Herald-Sun and came across the article suggesting that we might miss out on the new Fiesta because it couldn't be brought here cheap enough and might not be available numbers-wise anyway...

My questions are as follows:
1. How can GMH afford to import European Barina (corsa), Astra, and Vectra if Ford cannot even afford to bring in a single model profitably?

2. What other small car options are there out there for Ford Aus that could compete quality and price wise with Barina and co?

3. How important is a volume segment like small and light car to Ford Aus?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Ford has access to

Ka
New Feista
Puma
Focus
Mondeo

Ka and Mondeo have failed pretty badly. Puma would be to odd for this market and too expensive. The Focus and the Feista might be too expensive for this market.

Ford needs a decent small car.

The Ka should in theory be filling the low end of the market. However its done a AU and bombed.. Mirages, excels totally own this market.

Things ford could do to help sales, drop the price by $1000, make sure colour coded bumpers are on all cars. If your going to have a odd car, make it odd..

I think the Ka needs a make over. I don't know how well its selling in europe either...

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Having a decent selling small car is crucial for market leadership it should'nt need to rack up record profits IMO.

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Ford Australia would have to be nuts to not sell the Fiesta, the car is light years ahead of the Ka in terms of safety and quality which in my opinion justifies a price increase.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
J-type said:
Ford Australia would have to be nuts to not sell the Fiesta, the car is light years ahead of the Ka in terms of safety and quality which in my opinion justifies a price increase.
Yeah, also looks the goods in comparison to the Ka in my opinion.
As well as that, it looks, and I bet is put together better than the Opel Astra's ans Vectra's.
C'Mon Ford OZ, get ya heads straight and bring these good euro models in, or better still, make 'em down here!
Russell.

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
The Mighty XE said:
we might miss out on the new Fiesta because it couldn't be brought here cheap enough and might not be available numbers-wise anyway...

My questions are as follows:
1. How can GMH afford to import European Barina (corsa), Astra, and Vectra if Ford cannot even afford to bring in a single model profitably?

2. What other small car options are there out there for Ford Aus that could compete quality and price wise with Barina and co?

3. How important is a volume segment like small and light car to Ford Aus?

Cheers,
Matt
Read that article too. Although I have heard contradicting reports on whether the Fiesta will make it here. My other half works at a Ford dealer and they have been told it's coming. It definately has to come here. Ford/Geoff, I hope your listening!!

Regarding your questions:
1.Holden can afford to bring the Barina/Astra and sell them at competitive prices because they earn export credits from the govt for exporting the Commodore to the middle east and now South Africa and the 2.2l 4cyl to Europe for the Vectra etc. I don't know exactly how it works but I think they receive some sort of subsidy.

2.The Fiesta I think is the best option as already pointed out here.

3.Small cars are very important for overall volume and having an affordable Ford for the market. It gets people into Ford dealerships. Once a person buys a certain brand of car (eg Fiesta), they are more likely to buy the same make for their next purchase. So a Fiesta buyer may buy another Fiesta or new Laser/ Falcon a few years later as they would have to keep in touch with the dealer/s for servicing etc. As long as the car is reliable, meets their expectations and the dealer/s provide good service to the customer, they would be more likely to be a repeat buyer.

Dean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.