Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have a 1992 Ford Explorer 4x4, automatic with power everything. About a week or so ago my alternator went and I had to replace it. Yesterday I started it up, stereo and everything worked fine, went about 5 blocks and shut it off tried using the power windows and there was no power and I mean absolutely no power at all, no power to the light when the door opens, nothing. It was as if the battery was not even connected.

First things first I decided to try and jump start it. Nothing at all. No power when hooking up the cables, nothing. So then I decided to rule out the battery as an issue. It tested good. Next tried to see if the fusible link was gone. Nope still there looks good. Battery terminals. Nope cleaned when the alternator was replaced. The terminal connectors were also brand new. The only thing funny looking was the the oxidization on the wires themselves. At the moment I am at a loss. Anybody have any ideas???

·
Always the student
1,739 Posts
There should be more than one fusible link. Make sure you check them all and double check the wires. Especially the ones showing signs of corrosion.

·
Registered
827 Posts
As the fonz said...
there should be 2 fusible links. Looking at them is no test, you need to continuity check each of them, as a visual inspection rarely shows they have blown.

Cheers
Jas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys but I found the problem. There is a wire that goes from the positive battery post to the starter relay. One of the wires has a flat metal tab with a hole that attaches to a bolt. Since my battery was unsecured it kept pulling and bending the tab until it finally broke kinda like the tab breaking off on a pop can. This is what caused the problem. The wire to replace it costs $65 cdn from Ford. A bungie cord to secure the battery costs $2. Go figure.

·
Registered
827 Posts
keep in mind tootall.....the cable he bought would have had the correct terminals on it, so no thinking or work required.....as Bill Gates would say...Plug and Play!

Cheers
Jas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
jas24zzk
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing