Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning my car wouldnt start. I did a check to see if there was any spark getting to the plugs but there was none. I checked the spark from the from the coil but wasnt any so i tried a different HT lead. There is power going to the coil but doesnt seem to be any spark coming out of the coil. I tried to different coils with know change. I cant think of anything else, its on a fuel injected Xflow.

Is there anything else i can try or is it time to go to the auto elec.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
407 Posts
measure the leads with a multimeter - should be approx 7k ohms per foot (this is going from memory!). If the lead is much greater than this chuck it. How did you check for spark at the coil?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yep..Also the pins on the coil connector can slid back and not make contact on low tension wire..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XWish Ute said:
measure the leads with a multimeter - should be approx 7k ohms per foot (this is going from memory!). If the lead is much greater than this chuck it. How did you check for spark at the coil?
I checked buy putting a spark plug on the end of the coil lead, run a ground lead to it and seeing if there was a spark while it was being turned over.

I havnt checked the tfi modual and that yet, but am pretty sure thats what it would be after having a read through my manual.

Would i it be easier to replace the whole dizzy with a working tfi etc or is it removable.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Simon

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
tfi modules are easy to replace. You need a timing gun though. Just undo the dizzy bolt, rotate dizzy anticlockwise a bit and you should have a clear access to two screws holding it on. Undo them, disconect the wiring plug, replace with the new module, set the timing, tighten the dizzy bolt and you're done. 15 min job when you get another module.
If it's the pip sensor, the dizzy will have to come out. A bit of a pain due to its positioning and almost no clearance between it and the manifold but you can remove it without taking any other parts of your engine. Just make sure that the first cylinder is on TDC (top dead centre) when you're taking it out.
You can pick up a second hand dizzy for about $60-90 at your wreckers. I think new ones are about $400 from repco, not sure so don't quote me on the price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sleepwalker said:
tfi modules are easy to replace. You need a timing gun though. Just undo the dizzy bolt, rotate dizzy anticlockwise a bit and you should have a clear access to two screws holding it on. Undo them, disconect the wiring plug, replace with the new module, set the timing, tighten the dizzy bolt and you're done. 15 min job when you get another module.
If it's the pip sensor, the dizzy will have to come out. A bit of a pain due to its positioning and almost no clearance between it and the manifold but you can remove it without taking any other parts of your engine. Just make sure that the first cylinder is on TDC (top dead centre) when you're taking it out.
You can pick up a second hand dizzy for about $60-90 at your wreckers. I think new ones are about $400 from repco, not sure so don't quote me on the price.
Thanks for that, your help is much appreciated. I am currently looking around for a new tfi modual and if i cant get one i am just going to replace the whole dizzy with another one from the wreckers here, who hopefully be droping it off this arvo.

Regards

Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts