Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wannabe mechanic :)
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since replacing the (rear) springs & shocks, I have had this really annoying noise from the rear end of the car, which I cannot locate (except that I know it's not inside the boot cause I've taken everything out to check).

When you steer left, it clunks. When you go back to the right (or just straighten up quickly), it clunks again, etc. The noise is hard to explain, but it is sort've higher-pitched, like a metal pipe striking something. I've checked and re-checked, and had my mechanic check the upper/lower control arms (they're fine), the watts link bolts (all fine as far as I can tell), swaybar bolts (fine, maybe a bit too tight?), wheel-nuts (well, SPHELL had a clunking which turned out to be very loose wheel nuts, so I thought I would check :p)...

In short, I can find nothing wrong so far, and it has done it almost non-stop, except for a short period when I had 5 people in the car for a long trip up to NSW, where it stopped for some portion of the trip, and about a day after the trip, but then came back (not quite as loud though)

So, if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, I would love to know :)

Thanks

Juarez

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
no idea but if you find out what it is tell me straight away, i just started to hear that noise tonight after a hill cruise, i got one slightly wider rear tire on the back but i dont think its scraping or making that much of a difference, i think its coming from my diff, it sounds like a sick dogg barking but its really high pitch, is that what your getting??? or a scraping sound. im gonna check it out tomorrow, when i get another tyre, but otherwise ill be stumped. hey buy the way were both painting our fairmont ghias the same colour.... SSWWEEEEETT!!!!!!!

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
oh the clunking noise, Thanatos is having the exact same problem, but we cannot for the life if use figure out what it is..

·
Wannabe mechanic :)
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EA_GHIA_2NV: A sick dog barking? Is this when you go left, then right, or just a constant thing? If it is constant, you've probably screwed your diff.. replace the oil in the diff, you might be alright :p

rmyers: Hmm, well that sucks :( Maybe on the 10th Jan cruise we can figure it out.. did he change suspension just before it started?

One thing I forgot to mention. It got a LOT worse after the GOR cruise, and during the GOR cruise I was pushing it REALLY hard. This would indicate that it is to do with something being loose.

·
E-Series Acting VP
1,432 Posts
It's the most annoying noise in the world!!!

Everyone who comes in the car has a different opinion on where it's coming from - everywhere from the front door to the boot! It's definately on the passenger side, though. We even took the back door trim off, and I drove around while Rmyers had is head inside the door, and we still couldn't find it...

It's unlikely to be a suspension problem, coz my springs and shocks are less than a year old, and ALL of my suspensions bushes are 2 months or less old. I've also removed the whole interior and tightened every bolt. I've cable-tied anything that wasn't bolted. And I've siliconed anything that couldn't be cable-tied. AND I've covered everything in sound deadening...

I am at a complete loss as to what it is. :(

Cheers,
Dave

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
mines only turning left over a bump, it also seems to be slipping alot, but its making a bit of a clunk noise from the diff when it slips or it just BARKS??? weird as that sounds, gonna change diff oil other wise gonna buy an ed standard diff, or xr6 diff later on.. no idea at this stage. good luck.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Got no answers guys, but can comiserate by saying stray noises are the hardest thing to eliminate.

New of an old lady with a 302 XW (yeah she was a rev-head) who spent major money trying to eliminate a clunk only when she made a hard left hander. After many trips to several mechanics, the culprit got found out. Turned out to be an apple had fallen into the recesses of the boot....

So maybe your problem is something simple after all.

Good luck.

·
Green's Tuff!
802 Posts
When the lowering was done, did you make sure you put the rear springs in the proper sides?
When I did mine, I put them in arse about, and they clunked someting shocking, except that I thought it was the newly fitted exhaust that was doing it, so it took like a month or 2 to finally pin point the problem and swap the springs into the proper sides.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
mine did this not long after doing work up the back.
turned out to be loose lower suspension arm bolts.
also, the shock bolts may be loose?

or any number of bushes might be screwed

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
its either my diff or the tranny thats the problem?? problem is now even lightly accelerating through a left corner it will rev hard and then clunk/grind when taking the foot off the accelerator. so its starting to piss me off.... badly, any one know how much a wrecker would cost if i was gonna buy a diff???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts