Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I wanna eat your children
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of u already know...i got my 17" avantek rims fitted to my 1990 telstar today.

the first problem was when i rolled off the hoist....a shocking rubbing noise....tyres on the struts :(

so i pulled back in...they took the rears off....put a lil spacer on and that problem was solved...(only JUST!)

on the way home....the front left makes a noise...sounds like its rubbing on something....so i took it to my mates.....got him to drive up and down and swerve alot....didnt seem to be rubbing on anything....it turns both ways fully without touching anything while stationary. the noise is usually wen i turn right...but sounds like its the left wheel...which seems strange :S and also when braking

anyone got any ideas what it is...and a solution pleASE!!!!

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Brake calipers?

·
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mongrelEB said:
Brake calipers?
ok...im a dumb ass with car stuff....what part exactly is the caliper...the bit that clips on to the disc? the actual stopper ?

and how would it rub? im not saying you're wrong...im just asking how exactly it would rub so i can check if it is that...

i could ask my old man....but he isnt happy with me gettin the rims...so i dont wanna let him know about any problems

·
tough XF
487 Posts
what about the mud guards on my diahatsu they mudguards scrap on the ground from the body roll and the all the weight thats in the back

·
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RaTTuS said:
what about the mud guards on my diahatsu they mudguards scrap on the ground from the body roll and the all the weight thats in the back
but the car isnt lowered? is it possible for the guards to touch the ground?

when i made my mate drive up and down....i thought the rim might be hitting the mu dguard...but its not possible...i tried to make it hit and it cant...

if it is the guard scraping the ground...that makes sense for the turning part....but not for the braking?

jump on msn rattus....might be able to help me easier on there

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Take the rims back and tell them they are making all sorts of rubbing noises. i don't like the idea of spacers on the back, either. Get them to change them for 16" rims, with maybe a different width (ie 6"? - I'm assuming the 17's are 7").

It could also be wheel bearings, CV joints etc and it's only the additional pressure exerted by wider rims/tyres that have made it possible for you to hear the noises.

To avoid all your insurance/rego hassles, I would be taking the rims back and asking for either a full refund or a swap to 16 x 6.

·
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JC said:
Take the rims back and tell them they are making all sorts of rubbing noises. i don't like the idea of spacers on the back, either. Get them to change them for 16" rims, with maybe a different width (ie 6"? - I'm assuming the 17's are 7").

It could also be wheel bearings, CV joints etc and it's only the additional pressure exerted by wider rims/tyres that have made it possible for you to hear the noises.

To avoid all your insurance/rego hassles, I would be taking the rims back and asking for either a full refund or a swap to 16 x 6.
JC: yer they are 17X7. the rubbing noises have stopped on the back. the problem seems to be the front left. if there is no problem with insurance and rego....would u still say go 16"? i really like the 17"s but if it HAS to be done...not much i can do really.

just lookin at the reciept has me worried.

"NO REFUND ON WHEELS & TYRES"
that would mean if these rims didnt come in 16" id have to pick somethin else....and nothin else there looked that good. (for my car anyway)

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Calipers are the bits that grab the brake disc inside the wheel. If they are rubbing it would be very difficult to see. Try taking the wheel off and see if there is any shiny bits where the rim may have been rubbing. If so it should be possible to file the caliper down a little (about 2mm max) without weakening it...

·
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mongrelEB said:
Calipers are the bits that grab the brake disc inside the wheel. If they are rubbing it would be very difficult to see. Try taking the wheel off and see if there is any shiny bits where the rim may have been rubbing. If so it should be possible to file the caliper down a little (about 2mm max) without weakening it...

ahh shit.....this isnt sounding good

any details on the engineers certificate....how , where, how much etC?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
so i pulled back in...they took the rears off....put a lil spacer on and that problem was solved...(only JUST!)
Spacers will void insurance, ring your company and see, and what size wheels did you start with, you may have gone over size as well :0)

Jason

·
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dellboy999 said:
Spacers will void insurance, ring your company and see, and what size wheels did you start with, you may have gone over size as well :0)

Jason
i measure my stock rims before i left to get the new rims. they measured 15inches straight across the middle of the rim, tyres not included. so i thought ok 17 inch is no problem...

then when i got home...i measure my new rims.......18" ?????????? but these are 17's! its then that i realised that for some reason all rims measure 1 inch bigger than there size...i tried it on my mums 15" fairmont wheels....got 16...tried on my brothers 15's...got 16!

so i have gone up 3 sizes...and now im ****ed! excuse the language guys...but im pretty pissed offf and dont know what to do....the only thing i can think of is ring the tyre factory and ask if they will swap for 16's and give me the extra cash....otherwise i wont be able to get insured, because just cars is going to ask if it is legal and its not .......

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
madwob, not to be a bad person here, but read the writing on the tyres

205/65 R15 <-- 15 inches
225/40 R18 <-- 18 inches

Simple way to tell what ya got, the bold bit is all that really matters thats the rim size.

Jason

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
I can't see that the rims would be rubbing on the calipers, unless they are totally the wrong offset..

You may be in luck with the rims. The 1990 AV TX5 Ghia Turbo came standard with the following wheels

Tyres & Rims FORD TELSTAR TX5 AV GHIA TURBO
Front tyre description 195/60 R15 86H
Front rim description 6.0JJx15

Which means your option of 17x7 should be OK. I found this info on carsales.com (link is here...just click anywhere)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Mad wob check that the tyres are not rubbing on the inner guard. basically the panel that seperates the wheelarch from the engine bay (front) & boot/hatch (rear) you will be able to tell because the tyre will leave a clean mark on the inner guard (when I mean 'clean' it will rub away surface road grime that has built up over time.) If left to continue it will rub away the paint to leave bare metal. I assume its a tyre rubbing as you described a rubbing noise not grinding so i suspect its not the caliper.

From what you have written earlier they have fitted an incorrect offset wheel to your car perhaps?

The other reason may be that you just cant fit 7 inch wide wheels to a telstar?

You say the left wheel when you turn right, so its not that strange mate, when you turn right the load transfers to the left side of the car, therefore the left side squats down, maybe under cornering the side wall of the tyre flexes and is rubbing the strut again.

easy to check again see if there is rub marks on the strut, another way is to mark the strut with a whiteboard marker and go for a drive if the mark has rubbed off there's your answer.

Adittionally if you are going to lower the car chances are if its rubbing in the inner gaurd the rubbing will get worse.

Did they do a wheel alignment when you had the wheel fitted? if not get one asap, it MAY help

·
Banned
555 Posts
did u get them from the tyre factory in dandenong? if so never ever give them your business again if you want to have the job done properly they simply dont know how, i work in the industry and around the dande area we all consider their work useless, wheel alignments fittings etc if you didnt get it form them others may re consider buying from them just cause they got a big display room doesnt mean there any good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Put the stocky rims on the front i bet you still have that noise. Its The hub where the drive shaft goes through. Had the same noise on my Mazda 626 turbo, mechanic couldnt spot it but figured it out in the end. The way he fixed it was to undo the bolt on the drive shaft hit the shaft with a hammer a few times lube it up then bolt up again then do it up repeat this process a couple of times. Fixed it no more rubbing noises on the front. Seems like its done the trick. Apparently the hubs on these Telstars/Mazdas dry out over time. I couldnt understand it but it did the trick. Price no charge. My mechanics a good bloke.

·
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the rims have to go anyway....they are 7inch wide and i can only go up to 6.5

JC: maybe the turbos came with 6 and u can go to 7....but mine is 5.5 and can only get 6.5

hopefully it solves the noise prob....coz it wasnt there with the stock wheels.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Let us know how you go with returning the rims etc.

If the tyre place is reluctant to return the rims, just remember that they are only able to sell stuff (this applies to any retailer) that is suitable/fit for its intended use. If 7" rims on your car are illegal, then technically they are not operating within this law - if you have any troubles, just go to consumer affairs/dept of fair trading.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your rims should be legal...from memory I think you can go 2 sizes up in wheel size from the biggest rim offered on that model and 1 inch wider. In your case that's going from 15 to 17 inch max and as for the width 6 to 7 inch maximum which makes it legal...

As for buying stuff from tyre factory I will only buy Rims but I will NEVER let them work on my car. I had to take my car back to them 3 times to get the wheel alignment done properly and each time they kept making up excuses about the car "You got no caster/camber kit we cant do it"....BULLSH!T !!! I spent around $1,500 on my suspension alone and most of the job was done by me and my mate and we know what was done on the car. I ended up getting my money back and I took the car to Bob Jane who done an excellent job on the car. The lesson to be learnt here is don't just shop for price shop 4 service as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts