Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Turbo Pilot
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with a 200KW motor please let me know if yours has a very obvious Ticky/Tappy (that would be the technical terminology :cool: ) valvetrain noise

These engines are fitted with roller everything and should be reasonably quite. Not, turn the radio up so I can't hear that damn ticking, especially at 2500 rpm

The reason I ask is that I am now on my 2nd motor and guess what - same noises.

Makes me wonder, is it possible that something else could be causing this noise, like the headers or something?
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
AZTECH:
Mate. same here. I have been around listening to a whole heap of these engines and 220s and most (like 99%) are noisy. Mine is blueprinted and it is just as bad. I think this is one of those things - you have to put up with it.

Piss poor IMO. Not worthy of a 2001 model car. I can't understand how this passes NVH levels at Ford. Having said that mine was REAL bad when it had the head gasket problem first time around.

I am seriously thinking of trying alloy rocker covers to try and shut mine up. Don't know if it will work though.

Maybe Tickford can explain why these engines are so noisy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Yeah it's funny(sorry) that they make a ticking noise, maybe Tickford should of fitted the same Street Terra rockers, but adjustable ones. Maybe with the upped compression ratio/milled heads.. they didnt measure the pushrod lengths right....
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
cobraXR said:
Yeah it's funny(sorry) that they make a ticking noise, maybe Tickford should of fitted the same Street Terra rockers, but adjustable ones. Maybe with the upped compression ratio/milled heads.. they didnt measure the pushrod lengths right....
Mine has had the pushrod lengths changed to match spec 100%. Plus it now has heads prepped from new castings (not the milled down Yella Terra items). Still noisy.

If I remember right, Aztech's first engine had pushrods changed before they decided to fit a new engine.
 

·
BSR Field Agent
Joined
·
578 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Mate. same here. I have been around listening to a whole heap of these engines and 220s and most (like 99%) are noisy. Mine is blueprinted and it is just as bad. I think this is one of those things - you have to put up with it.
Hey Aussie Pete maybe its comming from those two extra cylinders.....lol.....

Got to love the I6....

Nipper....
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
This is a typical problem with 1:7 ratio rockers at times.
Way to go is a cam that has the lift and with 1:6 ratio rockers easier on valve train.I'm only repeating what has been discused over @ carral. O.K Ford should have done developement on this new set up.Make sure that the rockers are NOT hitting the std valve cover [esp around breather baffle] if you put different cam etc in..
I have Harland Sharp rockers[alloy],stud mount,Alloy rocker cover's and they'r quiet after initial start up..
 

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
This is a typical problem with 1:7 ratio rockers at times.
Way to go is a cam that has the lift and with 1:6 ratio rockers easier on valve train.I'm only repeating what has been discused over @ carral. O.K Ford should have done developement on this new set up.Make sure that the rockers are NOT hitting the std valve cover [esp around breather baffle] if you put different cam etc in..
I have Harland Sharp rockers[alloy],stud mount,Alloy rocker cover's and they'r quiet after initial start up..
Sounds like a very good point. On the fordracing web page http://www.fordracing.com/performanceparts/ it says this about their 1.7 ratio roller rockers...

The M-6564-B351 and E351 bolt-on roller rocker arms will not clear the stamped rocker cover on standard 5.0L EFI engines. "Taller" valve covers, such as the production 5.0L EFI HO die-cast aluminum cover or Ford Racing chrome cover M-6582-D302, can be used if the baffle is modified in the RH cover.
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Makes you wonder.......
Surely Tickford looked at this issue? Didn't they? :eek:

I will ask the question of the man in charge of my engine!
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
1.7 roller rockers cause problems if they are the adjustable type. Bolt down per the Tickford issue stuff is not a problem.

So, we're back to wondering what the noise is.......
 

·
Turbo Pilot
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, I am talking about clapped out taxi type noises in a brand new 2001 model "performance" car (loud enough to convince the dealer to change the engine with less than 2000km). Shame, because lifter noise is one of my least favourite things. There must be some simple reason for the noise.

I don't mind so much, I absolutely love everything else about the ute, but if Aussie Pete is right (and I am sure he is) that it is quite a common problem, I would hate to think that you would pay all that money for the T- series and have the sort of problem that should have eliminated in about 1971. (same head/valvetrain on the 250KW as the 220KW)
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Time for explanations I think. I'm cactus because my engine isn't ord warranty anymore, but it would be interesting to have a Tickford engineer look into the noise.

What do you think David F?
 

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Time for explanations I think. I'm cactus because my engine isn't ord warranty anymore, but it would be interesting to have a Tickford engineer look into the noise.

What do you think David F?
I'm sure Ash should be able to sort it. Have you heard anything from Herrods yet Pete???
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:


I'm sure Ash should be able to sort it. Have you heard anything from Herrods yet Pete???
Yeah they said they had the problems with the adjustable rockers hitting the standard rocker cover baffles, but Ash and Rob are stumped on why mine and the current crop of 200/220 engines are so noisy. They've tried new cam, new lifters, and longer pushrods in mine. That's why I thought Tickford might know since the engines are noisy ex-factory.
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
1.7 roller rockers cause problems if they are the adjustable type. Bolt down per the Tickford issue stuff is not a problem.

So, we're back to wondering what the noise is.......
But they ARE the one's making the noise.

Stud mount is the way to go,with guide plates & hardened pushrods.
3/4 turn preload no trouble..So long as rocker is on centre of valve tip..
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
ebxr8240 said:

But they ARE the one's making the noise.
You've lost me now. Please explain!
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
I recon because they are not adjustable,they cannot be adjusted to each individual preload on lifter,well if "blue printed" they should be!!!!Basically if a valve system is making noise the geometry is not right and WILL wear.Obviously thats different if there was 700+ lift @valve but this is a street engine and should do 160k+ klm..
Check out www.compcams.com
Am I allowed to suggest www.corral.net /windsor check out the threads there.. hth..
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
Am I allowed to suggest www.corral.net /windsor check out the threads there.. hth..
I went there and to my Horror there's already an Aussie Pete! Aaargghhhh!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top