Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know where I could get a nitrous oxcide kit for my BA XR8
I think its the way to go for bolt on instant HP
Also how big do you think I could go without doing any other mods to it?
Im thinking about a 150 HP kit

·
Registered
670 Posts
Read the current issue of street machine. it has a write up on cams that talks about Nitrous and the call one of the companies that sell it. Where you at.

Instant power yes, refils more regular than petrol if you a lead foot. (why i don't have it).
150hp would be absolute max on stock (IMHO)!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
gotta be careful it wouldnt lean out with that much.... dnt know how much stock injectors can flow.... at the end of the day u would be better off with cam change and full exhaust... GT boys are gettin 350kw with exhaust amd computer change!

·
Registered
262 Posts
If the 5.4L is the same as the current 4.6L motors used in US then you will need a different nitrous system to suit your BA XR8 (not 100% I was told by someone).

In 1999, Ford redesigned the fuel system on the 4.6L motors by eliminating the return line from the car. They did this mainly because the new computer system no longer needed the excess fuel to be returned to the tank (for emissions reasons).
Since you don't have a return line to use to help boost fuel pressure when the nitrous is armed, you will need a nitrous system that is designed to be used on vehicles that don't have a return line on the fuel system. Nitrous Express has a kit that taps into the valve on the stock fuel rail (for extra fuel pressure) and is adjustable from 35 to 150 horsepower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a local company putting a 100HP NOS kit in a BA XR8 UTE,
this monday actually, going to have a look....

see if he will let me take some pics....!

He is having 2 bottles, hidden away...

·
Registered
262 Posts
IMHO the only way I can see nitrous destroying an engine is if the motor hasn't been tuned corectly or if you are cheaping out on engine components but then again this also applies to turbos, superchargers and even N/A cars.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Lunaticsvt

Not only can does he sell them, hes the one that got the kit for me that started the whole thing

send him a PM

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys .Ive read that the only way nitrous will damage your engine if you cant keep up the fuel pressure .
mcalvi keep me posted about that Ute thanks mate.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Ambrose_1 said:
I thought Nitrous rooted your engine?
I have never heard of nitrous oxide ever killing an engine.:idk:

Too many ill-informed people make the presumption that because nitrous was experimental in the early days (60's and 70's), that it kills engines now.

Far out. If only I could count how many times, a turbo, blower, or even just a carby have 'rooted' an engine.

If nitrous is PROPERLY setup, I believe it CAN be one the safest major mods done to an engine.

Even today where kits are sold with nearly all the components to make a nitrous setup safe, and suppliers rant and rant about setting it up safe, I still see/hear of people taking shortcuts that will eventually cost them their engine or more.

To answer 330boss' query, If I was going to fit nitrous to a BA XR8, I would use a wet system, and I'd seriously consider using a progressive controller to get rid of that harshness, as well as research with anyone else that has done it, or ask the nitrous kit manufacturers, and possibly consider exhaust, timing, fuel and computer modifiactions.

150HP would be borderline if you were wanting to use it a lot, for a few years to come. If you've been in a nitrous powered car, you'll know that even 50HP is a lot in one burst.

The other thing to consider with a big shot like 150HP is driveline stress. Can it handle it?

At the end of all that, think about this, is it the person that holds the gun, or the gun that kills? :rant:

·
CLEVO CRAZY
64 Posts
A 150hp shot of NOS would be way to much for a stock engine to handle in
one hit,a progresive feed system would be the way to go. I use 150hp hit on
my 351 clevo on the odd occasion and the kick up the arse is awsome, but
the enginge and driveline are built to take the extra load. A 10lb bottle
costs around $100.00 to fill and i only get around six passes on a full bottle,
so the cost may be worth considering. Another factor to consider would be
tyres, without full drag slicks a big shot of gas would probably cause serious
wheel spin. If you are serious about a nitrou setup give mike a call at MIKES
autos (seen in many car mags.)ph 03 9713 9113

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
awsmxd:

What bottom end/box/diff have you got to take the extra load of 150HP shot?

What times have you had on and off the bottle?

Thanks
TTNOS8

·
CLEVO CRAZY
64 Posts
TTNOS8

Current bottom end set up is 4MAB crank eagle steel H beam rods C6 trans.
Best time no gas 11.68 at 116mph 4.57 gear set.
Best time with gas 10.95 at 125mph 4.11 gear set.

cheers
awsmxd.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While on the topic of N2O in late model cars, I have a EF Fairmont (6cyl, auto, with 150 000 km) with a few basic mods (extractors, exhaust, AU intake pipe and air intake) and have run a best time of 16.3 at 139 km/h. I will be shortly getting a higher stall convertor and XR diff ratio and would like to get around the mid to low 15's. Would a N2O kit get me there (with the driveline mods) and if so what size and type should I use (i was thinking of a 50hp kit). Sorry for all the questions but you guys really seem to have all the answers.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
HSV.ETA:

With your planned mods and some n2o I'd think you'd possibly go beyond 'mid to low 15's'.

50HP would be ample.

As you say, consider driveline strength always.

And have the nitrous set up by someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for that info, what type of system would be most suited, i think a wet system was mentioned in the case of the BA XR8, would this type of system also be suited to my car. Will such a system effect my auto gearbox shifting? (sorry for the silly questions but I don't know much about N2O). What would a rough price be for a suitable system (there was a company install ZIEX (i think) set ups into four cylinders for around $1100, would it be a similar price for my six?

·
slikxb
220 Posts
Go have a look at www.ozrace.com . With the OZNOZZLE you can up to 200hp out of one nozzle, all the prices are there. Have you thought about running a seperate fuel system for your nitrous, it would probably be cheaper than upgrading your EFI pump.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
EB on nos run 13.2 with n20[100 hp shot dry system, 6 individual jets on each runner] 3.9 gears,exh,3" exh and slicks runing an auto...OHH stage two cam as well no mods to head or inside engine..Though one night at Eastern Creek he made quite a few internal mods...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts