Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Beasty EA
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered my car yesterday, i put in some King Springs. Now the left hand side is 1 inch higher than my right hand side, at the rear that is, the front i didnt change, and they are even.
What is going on here,
Are there any suggestions?

I have checked the fitment of the coil and shocks as the shocks are new as well and it is all fine. I compred the old coils and noticed that they had been cut, and also that they were different hight, this would have been to componsate for the difference (one inch)

So does anyone know whow to fix this problem? Could it be the front coils............I need a explanation!!!

HEEELLLP

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
kings have a left and right rear spring - they are different, is it possible you put them in the wrong sides? the difference will be noticeable if you have.

also are you sure the ground is level? i swear my ride height changes by about an inch up or down from one 'level' surface to another..its bloody wierd.

at a stretch the body of the car may be twisted, which would affect the ride height, but thats not very likely.

did you make sure and 'screw' the rubber pads completely into the top of the springs before fitting them? are the springs turned as far as possible to the 'end' of the bottom of the spring, so it contacts the flat section of steel in the brackt that holds the spring?

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
my car is the same and it has factory springs in it i'm clueless???
i remember a thread about this a little while ago ill try to source it out

·
Beasty EA
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when fitting the RH and LH coils do u look from the front of the car or behind. This may be a stupid question, but with Nissan Pintaras u look at it from the front of the car, so the RH side is the passengers side........

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
The fuel tank is not on that side is it and it's not full,mine sit's lower on the left more so when I have a full tank.

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
RHS is drivers side, LHS is passenger side.

the reason the factory springs sit lower on the right than the left is because of the weight of the driver, believe it or not, also maybe i tiny bit to do with torque-reaction of the driving wheels (you know how drag cars lift up the LHF? most of the weight sits on the RHR when doing that, obviously nowhere near as bad in a normal car)

because the car always has a driver in it when moving, the rhr spring has to work just that little bit harder than the LH one, so it sags first.

this is why kings do left and right springs, to try and get the car to sit level with a driver in it.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
fill her up with petrol :)
a load of LPG in my car drops the arse of the car 1inch :p
front of my car is uneven, i put springs in wrong side :)

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
:idk: :idk: :idk: :idk: :idk:
pazza just switch the springs around then sit in the car for a while or just get some heavy thing (like a few bricks or slabs of beer) and leave it in the car's passenger side for a year and it'll level up i think!

i'm gonna attempt to fix mine by swithching the springs and driving the car around for a little while than keep swapping them until the springs look like super lows :s2:

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
i wouldnt worry yet though,
leave the springs settle for a week, if still the same, then swap them.
Take some corners quite sharp etc and load them up, also take off hard and brake hard, this will also help settle them in, sometimes it will take a few days, and it may even out...

·
Teh Pimp
311 Posts
I agree with 9psi EB. Springs actually two weeks to settle down and it will be lower than it is now in that time. Wait a few and then see if the problem still persists. Then you can swap them by all means.

·
Beasty EA
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i figured out what it is, infact quite a few of you may like to check this. I e mailed King Springs and they said that the RH coil should be taller than the LH side coil when free standing, i looked at mine and they were the same! so back int he box they are going and im going to go and get myself some new ones.

So guys, you may like to check yours, you have prolly been ripped off....

cheers

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Ask rollin about my reaction when we took my car off the stands for the 1st time with superlows! We were sitting on the 1/4 panels crying "sink you bugger, sink!" It took more than 2 weeks for my super lows to settle. It is amazing how much they do drop after some time. To this day I still have times where I think things are horribly uneven (something I never noticed on a stock or even low (not superlow)) car but it must have improved as it is rare that I raise an eyebrow. Anyway, here is my thread on the same topic, I hope it helps you out http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=43803

·
no tire smoke no fun!
458 Posts
front of my car was way higher then the back for about 2weeks on Pedders Low's then it settled and dropped nicely took about to 3 weeks to settle in now it's even, can's spot any weirdness just probably I should of drop it on superlows.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On average how much lower will the car sit once the new spring settle in?
i've just fitted a set of king springs into the front of my ZL and are hoping at least 1\2 an inch.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
Ask rollin about my reaction when we took my car off the stands for the 1st time with superlows! We were sitting on the 1/4 panels crying "sink you bugger, sink!" It took more than 2 weeks for my super lows to settle. It is amazing how much they do drop after some time. To this day I still have times where I think things are horribly uneven (something I never noticed on a stock or even low (not superlow)) car but it must have improved as it is rare that I raise an eyebrow. Anyway, here is my thread on the same topic, I hope it helps you out
yeah i reckon - it was such an anticlimax after we dropped it off the stands...looked the same as when it had lows in it!

i too have noticed the way sometimes the car looks uneven, or higher or lower than others, and i think its because the tyres are closer to the guards when lowered, so you notice the difference more on uneven ground, whereas if its up like a 4x4 the difference is not so great?

old xr - when i first fitted my superlow the car was legal ride height, after a few months it was severly illegal at the back, though it did have a constant 60kg of stereo helping to squash the springs, and sh!tty shocks possibly making them work harder than they should have.

usual is about 1cm or so, depending on the condition of all the bushes and things in the suspension.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks rollin, that should make the car sit quite nicely, although any lower would be good to, i'll post you guys a pic to show you what a set of king (lows) can do for a ZL. (tyre just level with the guard) nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts